We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Guide on 28 January 2012

Which Stanley hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, England
Level Contributor
691 posts
510 reviews
Save Topic
Private Guide on 28 January 2012

My wife and I will be visiting Stanley from a cruise ship for one day on 28 January 2012.

I've been reading the few postings here to try to find a private guide who will take us around for the day - to see some wildlife (esoecially penguins), some scenic parts and some reference to the recent war events.

I see that there is a list of guides on the official website, but get the impression that they all only work direct for the cruise companies when a ship is in port.

Are there any other guides who would give us a more personal tour, away from the cruise ship crowds?

Would be grateful for any advice

We want to make the most of this first visit to Stanley - a highlight in the cruise itinerary as far as we are concerned.

Thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,679 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Guide on 28 January 2012

The tourist office can easily arrange this.

Some travelling companions in March simply went there around 11am and had a choice of 4 guides at the office, but when they asked for someone with first-hand war experience, the office phoned a guide who had been under house arrest during the conflict. They had a wonderful day, apparently.

Penguins are in the next bay, so no need to go on a 4 hour drive to find them, as is often the case.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
691 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Guide on 28 January 2012

Thanks - looks like it might be worthwhile contacting ther tourist office in advance.... just to be sure !!

We've got nothing against cruise ship passengers - we are two of then after all - but prefer to go sightseeing in a less organised, more personal manner.

thanks again

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
692 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Guide on 28 January 2012

If you book earlier enough many of the tour guides listed on Falklandislands.com will be happy to take you.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
691 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Guide on 28 January 2012

Thanks - noted - I'll do this soon

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Guide on 28 January 2012

Looking for the same advice. We arrive Feb 6. Let me know, please, if you find a private guide.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
691 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Guide on 28 January 2012

Have4 picked this up whilst away fro 5 weeks, so don't have access to my notes. But we did find a private guide - I chose one off the list of "approved" guides on the Falklands Islands tourism website. We drew up a list of the sort of things we'd be interested in seeing and then sent that to one of the guides and he respinded very positively.

Hope that helps.

Santa Monica
Level Contributor
134 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Guide on 28 January 2012

We are going to be there in Nov, 2011. I will give report about our guide. I have not pick one yet. Whom did you pick?

Delray Beach...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Guide on 28 January 2012

contact Patrick Watts at pwatts@horizon.co.fk

tell him Herb recommended him.

9. Re: Private Guide on 28 January 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Stanley