We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just your average hikers going to Patagonia

San Francsico, CA
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just your average hikers going to Patagonia

My husband and I are planning a trip in early December to Argentina. We're going to spend 5 days in Buenos Aires and then we would like to head over to Patagonia.

We both like to hike, but after a 6-8 mile hike we're both ready to relax and enjoy a little luxuary. I would appreciate any advice on where you think we should go in Patagonia. It sounds like El Calafate is the place to be, but is there something specific we should do there?

We have about 3-4 days to spend in Patagonia total.

Also, if you could do Mendoza or Patagonia which would you do? I'm leaning towards Patagonia for the Glaciers (and we live in CA wine country), but my husband wants to see the Andes.

Thanks!

Portland
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just your average hikers going to Patagonia

You live in CA wine country, so you should consider going to the glaciers. 4 days doesn't give you enough time to visit both places, otherwise I would suggest that you also spend a little time in Mendoza, which is beautiful. There is this one lodge inside a vineyard, near the city, with spectacular views of the Andes.

As far as places to stay in El Calafate, Los Notros is the best, in my opinion.

Don't miss trekking on the Perito Moreno glacier.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just your average hikers going to Patagonia

I think your best choice is flying into El Calafate, visit the glaciers and go to El Chaltén. The distance between these cities is about 200 km. El Chaltén is a very young town, usually called "the trekking capital of Argentina", very close to the beautiful Fitz Roy Mount and in that region you'll find some of the most beautiful trekking routes in Southern Argentina. For a first approach, I suggest you visit www.elchalten.com/indexen.php

Hope you have a great trip!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just your average hikers going to Patagonia

Yes!! El Calafate is the place to be!! you will love it, for it is the most special place you can imagine. And, one has to enjoy while it lasts, cause as they say and because of the changing planet conditions related to the climate, global warming, etc. it is possible that the glaciers will not exist in the near future! think about seeing the amazing Perito Moreno, and more... walking on it!! it is really a dream you know? and then you can go to El Chalten or torres del Paine, two other incredibly amazing places that are unique in this world. The Paine mastif is something like a dream....

Leave Mendoza for your next trip. I really love Mendoza, but you already have the wine at home, no? And, the Andes are your excuse to make your husband visit Argentina again!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just your average hikers going to Patagonia

Besides, the mountains you'll find in Patagonia are actually Andes!

Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just your average hikers going to Patagonia

Try Calafate, and enjoy doing the minitrek in Glacier Moreno...300 kms northwest of Calafate is Chalten....where you can do many hikes and treks, by your own.....and it is worthwhile

San Francsico, CA
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just your average hikers going to Patagonia

Thank you for all of your feedback. I think it's going to be Patagonia for us. We can spend a bit more than 4 days. We're heading to Uruguay after to visit friends and their schedule is very flexible.

Thanks for all of your help.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just your average hikers going to Patagonia

With your time limitation I would skip Torres del Paine and do as others mentioned: visit the glaciers around El Calafate and make a trip to El Chalten.

8. Re: Just your average hikers going to Patagonia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 17:20