We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independent Trekking and Equipment

Charlotte, NC
4 posts
Save Topic
Independent Trekking and Equipment

My buddy and I will be in southern Patagonia for about 30 days in December. We plan to Fitz Roy, Torres del Paine, Glacier Moreno. We plan to do the Paine 8 day trek. Has anyone done that?

We are semi-experiences trekkers and want to do this without a tour or guide. Can this be done? Has anyone done this?

Also, we prefer not to carry tents and stoves from the states, but instead to buy them in Calafate. Are there places to do this there??

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

Argentina Vision Travel Services
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Bariloche
Level Contributor
604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Independent Trekking and Equipment

For the 8 day Paine Trek, you better get a guide.... the rest can be done without a guide..

Buy the equipment in Buenos Aires, in Calafate can be 50% overpriced

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Independent Trekking and Equipment

We hiked Fitz Roy and the TDP circuit, both without guides. Those trails are well-marked, plenty busy, and shouldn't be a problem if you're somewhat experienced. I don't remember seeing anyone with a guide, other than the people heading to Glaciar Torre (in the Fitz Roy area).

If you're semi-experienced, you must have some equipment, so why not bring it from home?

3. Re: Independent Trekking and Equipment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 01:19