We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent experience with Say Hueque? Useful?

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
15 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Recent experience with Say Hueque? Useful?

Has anyone used this company recently for travel in Patagonia? I initially emailed them Sep 24, and finally called Sep 28 when I didn't get a reply. It was almost impossible to hear the person on the phone because of background noise, but she did email me promptly. However, now I am still waiting for an answer to my reply to her proposed itinerary. I understand that Sep 24 was part of a long weekend,and this is Saturday, but do none of these people work on the weekend? What if something goes wrong while you're traveling?

The itinerary I was sent omitted an entire day, and aside, possibly, from a day trip to TdP didn't seem to include anything I couldn't book on my own. Is there a good reason to use this company? Do I need to book excursions and buses (El Calafate to El Chalten and back, and El Calafate to Puero Natales) before I arrive in El Calafate (Nov 3)? I assume I can also book the Navimag boat myself?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
449 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent experience with Say Hueque? Useful?

To be fair, BA is several hours ahead of the US you did mail them on a Friday and the 25th and 26th was a weekend. So I don't think it's unreasonable to take 48 hours to reply to an initial request.

I've been working with someone from Say Hueque and generally find him easy to work with and responds promptly. They're located in BA and the time difference can be tricky but so far everything is prepared for my coming trip is in November.

Give them a chance and if you're still not happy find another agent

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
15 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent experience with Say Hueque? Useful?

Well, I initially emailed on a Monday (Sep 24th), and the automatic reply said it was the end of a three day weekend, so I expected to hear back maybe Wednesday (Sep 26th). When I still hadn't heard by the Friday (Sep 28th) I called. (BTW, BsAs is currently only one hour ahead of the US east coast.) Since my reply to their email (the background noise in the office was so bad we had to revert to email) hasn't drawn a reply, it seems they don't work on the weekend. That's not much use if something goes wrong with their arrangements on a weekend, especially as you have to pay them up front.

When I checked on some of the places I wanted to stay it became clear they were filling up, so I went ahead and made my own room reservations. As best I can tell the hostels/hotels can make my tour and transport reservations if I don't want to wait until I arrive. I would have been better off just making the reservations myself in the first place, instead of wasting nearly a week.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
449 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent experience with Say Hueque? Useful?

Sorry for my confusion on the dates I think I was looking at August (oops), I can understand why you would be annoyed.

Honestly, I booked the BsAs portion of my stay myself too and I only used them for my travel arrangements up to Iguazu and down to Patagonia. BsAs is so easy to get around and lots of resources available here.

I had a lot of difficulty getting the groups in El Calafate and El chalten to respond to me and SH was able to get everything I wanted arranged so I don't have to worry about it myself.

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
15 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent experience with Say Hueque? Useful?

No problem. I'm doing Iguazu between Rio and Montevideo, flying. When are you going?

BTW, still no reply from SH. I just booked Navimag myself, very easy. Not so sure about the buses, have asked hotel for help.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
449 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent experience with Say Hueque? Useful?

I have a week in BsAs then a flight up to Iguazu for a couple days and then down to Patagonia for a week to the cities of El Calafate and El Chalten.

I booked a side trip to Colonia while in BsAs as well. The stuff that can be done online but dealing with the tour companies in Patagonia was the trouble.

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
15 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent experience with Say Hueque? Useful?

From what I've read, and from what my accommodations in El Calafate and El Chalten say, I can book my excursions when I arrive. But I'm not planning any long hikes, just day trips.

7. Re: Recent experience with Say Hueque? Useful?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 07:17