We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patagonia Questions

3 posts
Save Topic
Patagonia Questions

Hi everyone,

I am considering a trip to Patagonia in January 2013 but I have some general questions. I am planning to fly into Buenos Aires and I have questions pertaining to the following.

Transportation to Patagonia from Buenos Aires

Hiking trails and options in the area, I realize this is a huge area

Possible Antarctica excursion

How much pre planning involved. Can I book hostels and flights/buses at the last minute considering this is the high season.

Ideally I would like to speak with someone live over the phone that

has visited these places.

Thanks in advance!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patagonia Questions

Codda- I doubt you will get anyone to speak to live over the phone by posting on this forum. People who visit and post on Trip Advisor are locals or fellow travellers like yourself either asking questions or giving advice based on their own travels or knowledge of their local area.

Patagonia is a very big place.so you need to have some idea of where you want to go.

I spent 5 nights in the El Calafate/ El Chalten region. It is inland not on the coast. If you want to see glaciers, mountains and lakes it is a great place to visit. there is great hiking in the Mt Fitz Roy region near El Chalten.

Try to search for info about this area by using Google- that will give you some ideas if that is what you are looking for. It is a long way from Antarctica though.

As any area in Patagonia is a long way from Buenos Aires I would suggest you fly into th region to start with.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 06:24
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
450 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patagonia Questions

I was just in Patagonia in November. My best recommendation would to make reservations ahead of time for flights and hotels. January is high season and booking last minute flights is very expensive if you can get a flight at all.

I used Say Hueque for my itinerary and was relatively happy with the whole thing. We had one very minor hiccup in Iguazu but overall a positive experience.

Feel free to send me a private message if you like.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 07:24
Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patagonia Questions

From Buenos Aires, your best bet is to fly.

Bariloche is on the edge of Patagonia, and even though it is summer, the 7 lake route is worth consideration.Hiking to Cerro Tronador is another option.The view from Llao Llao Hotel of the lake is very nice.

El Calafate is the next major stop with the Perito Moreno Glacier ,Los Glaciares National Park and the little town of El Chalten for hiking.

Most people goining to El Calafate or El Chalten , include a visit to Torres del Paine National Park in Chile.You can go by bus with tours or hire a car and do it yourself.

Crossing back to Argentina, the next stop would be Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego.Visit the park, boat ride on the Beagle Channel,Penguin Island.

It is from Ushuaia that cruise ships depart for Antartica, which is only 1000 Km`s to the south.

I cannot advise you on tour operators from trips to Antartica.

Hope this helps

Heinrich

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Patagonia Questions

Thank you everyone for your comments! I really appreciate it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,309 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patagonia Questions

Codda you can also pop into the Antarctica forum for questions specific to a cruise there.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i12337-Antar…

San Francisco...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Patagonia Questions

Hello,

I'm not certain whether you took your trip yet or not but I just came back from Argentina (Buenos Aires and Patagonia) and have a couple of suggestions. We spent time in Buenos Aires without the help of any tour companies, however, we used Say Hueque within Patagonia. The prices are very reasonable, they are very informed about the region and will likewise provide you with an abundance of information. I strongly suggest them!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patagonia Questions

Going to Argentina in March 2014 and have about 3 weeks. In addition to Buenos Aires, I'd like to hit the highlights of Patagonia -- either in Argentina or Chile.

Anyone care to chime in? Thanks.

tennessee
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patagonia Questions

how many days did your trip take? I looked at Say Huque and other than an itinerary what did they do for you? I have looked at they itinerary and I have to admit I am spoiled but the itinerary I looked at I had to get to bus stations on my own from hotel so I guess my question would be why use the tour company?

Thanks

9. Re: Patagonia Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 06:20