We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary assistance

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
731 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary assistance

I am booking a trip for my parents (mom's 55th bday). I think they would enjoy the Australis cruise from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas, and I want to base the rest of the itinerary around that. Here is what I am thinking. My concern is whether they will be seeing similar things between staying in Argentinian Patagonia and the cruise.

Arrive Buenos Aires (couple of days there. they have been before)

Fly to El Carafate (stay at EOLO or Estancia Cristina or maybe somewhere else?). 3 nights

transfer to El Chalten for 3 nights. Not sure where to stay there

transfer to El Carafate Aiport and fly to Ushuaia. overnight and take the cruise.

arrive in Punta Arenas 4 days later, fly home.

thanks

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
731 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary assistance

one more thing. Should i add on Bariloche?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary assistance

Hi NY!

Ushuaia has the more things to do. Punta Arenas is just a big port city. Tourists prefer Ushuaia.

The highlight of the boat ride will be the snow-capped peaks around the western end of Tierra del Fuego. The won't see that in Punta Arenas.

I'm not sure what one would do with six nights in El Calafate and El Chaiten, unless they are into serious hiking. By all means take a day for the grand Perito Moreno Glacier, 30 miles west of El Calafate. You'll want to approach the glacier from the lake in a boat tour; descend to the observation point on the opposite side of the lake (a very steep descent, but there is a handicapped elevator) and perhaps hike a bit on the glacier, but these can be done in a single day.

We love Bariloche! We've been there four times and we'd go back in a heartbeat, a charming tourist town on the lake. There's mountains to ascend, a spectacular drive out to the Llao LLao resort (you don't need to overnight at the pricy resort ) and the drive or cruise around Lake Nahuel Huapi to Villa La Angostura at the far end of the lake. You'll hardly be able to count all the chololate shops in Bariloche. My fave is Mamuschka. If you possibly can, have tea and a snack there, and see if you don't agree!

It may be off the beaten track, but if they'll be there in spring and summer, the grandest penguin site in the world is Punta Tombo, around 1 1/2 hours drive from Puerto Madryn, on the east coast of Patagonia. Considering accesibility, the weather, the number of birds (rangers say a half-million penguins come) and the closeness guests can get to them, there's nothing better anywhere!

Happy travels!

David

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
731 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary assistance

Hi Capetien,

thank you for your post. Punta Tombo does look like an interesting stop. But i am having a hard time putting that into the itinerary. I see flights from BA to Puerto Madryn, but not from Puerto Madryn to El Calafate. I am not sure how they would get there.

So here is what i am thinking now

2 days BA

2 days Punta Tombo, if we can figure out the transport situation. Otherwise its onto El Calafate

3 nights El Calafate,

fly to Ushuaia for one night and board the cruise the next day.

3 nights on the cruise

arrive Punta Arenas. Probably fly home from here. I have been to this area before, and i remember needing to drive 3 hours from PA to get to Puerto Natales. I think that will be too much traveling at the end there, and some of the scenery might be repetitive,.

Now, if they are unable to get to Punta Tambo, should I add a couple of days for Bariloche or add a day to El Calafate and have them take a day or two trip to El Chalaten?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
731 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary assistance

So we have settled on the following itinerary. My only concern is will the scenery be a bit repetitive. If anyone has insight, i am all ears.

arrive BA. spend 2 days

fly to El Calafate spend 3 days

fly to Ushuaia. overnight

Take a 3 night cruise on Australis to Punta Arenas

Spend 3 days in Puerto Natales area.

thanks

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary assistance

NY,

When you say Puerto Natales, I imagine you really mean Torres del Paine National Park. It's a sparkling mountain park of chisel-point peaks, turquoise lakes (and I mean that literally, not poetically), and swirls of mist contrasting with sunny panoramas.

Torres del Paine is a couple hours drive north of Puerto Natales, which otherwise is an unremarkable Pacific coast town.

David

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
731 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary assistance

Thanks David. For now I booked the Remota Hotel. They do trips into TDP and the surrounding area. Is the TDP scenery similar to scenery around El Calafate? or are they completely different?

7. Re: Itinerary assistance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 07:19