We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first trip to Brazil

england
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
first trip to Brazil

hopefully travelling in a couple of weeks. What currency should I bring. Is it dangerous to carry much money/credit cards with me? Staying a few days in Rio and a few days elswehere - where I'm happier about safety.

London
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: first trip to Brazil

Take yr debit card, pay for everything with it, & use an ATM for cash just like you do at home, end of story.

London
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: first trip to Brazil

..except for telling yr bank you'll be in Brazil.

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
england
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first trip to Brazil

thanks - but I'm likely to need a little cash for tips/ drinks/taxis. Wondering if reals are best as hotel prices often seem to be quoted in US dollars.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first trip to Brazil

Yes, and for your tips/drinks, you take money out of the ATM--in reis, because of course you are in Brazil and that is the (only)currency used there. You can encounter your first ATM at the airport to get cash for a taxi or bus to your hotel. The withdrawal limit is usually more than enough to last for a few days.

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
5. Re: first trip to Brazil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 21:16