We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alaska---->brazil

anchorage,ak
Level Contributor
65 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
alaska---->brazil

considering getting out of alaska sometime between february and march 2009 for 2 weeks to recharge my batteries with some sunshine in brazil. we're an active mid 30's couple traveling with a 4 year old who are into lounging on the beach, hiking, site seeing, and a cocktail or three. with only 2 weeks i'm guessing we should stick around the rio area?

would like to see fernando de noronha and the amazon, but with only 2 weeks don't think that is going to happen.

kind regards,

will

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: alaska---->brazil

When planning understand that the week around Carnaval in Rio (in 2009, Feb.20-24) is hectic and extremely expensive.

In two weeks, you could indeed spend some time in Rio and some time in one of the two places you mention, to get more of the flavor of Brazil.

You could also think about going to the Pantanal where you might be likely to see more animal and bird life.

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
884 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alaska---->brazil

It's great that you are planning ahead and the fact that you are considering Fernando de Noronha is that you have done a little research beyond the Rio - Iguazu - Amazon triad. Pantanal, though I haven't been, seems a great option, though if I'm not mistaken, it's usually considered best to visit there between May and October, when it's drier than in Brazil's summer, which is when you will be here. If you can afford it and given that the flying time between Rio and your other 2 options is about the same, I would vote for Fernando de Noronha for scenic beauty, beach and potential contact with wildlife (dolphins swim very close to humans there, but it's not one of those locations were they are forced to be touched by humans).

Rio, of course, is hors concours - have to go there for starters. Though TCant, usually a Salvador/Bahia enthusiast didn't mention it, the resorts near the city of Salvador are very child friendly, IMO Vila Galé Marés and EcoResort Praia do Forte being slightly nicer than Iberostar and the hotels in the Sauipe complex. All of them have children monitors and at that time of year there will be many Brazilian children at the resorts for your 4-year old to play with at the resorts.

Boa Viagem! And thanks for considering Brazil for recharging.

Denmark
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: alaska---->brazil

We stayed at the Amazing camping for 4 days in early July and loved it. The lodge is located on a tributary of the Rio Negro, about an hour from Manaus. It's situated in a nature preserve, so you really feel very much like you're out in the middle of the jungle even though you're only 5 hours away from civilization.

Guests were from all over the world, and included couples, families.

First off, the highlights:

1) There's a monkey rehabilitation center on premises that is supported by your stay at the Camping. These are monkeys who were abandoned as pets and are now being reintegrated to jungle life. The best part about this is that you can go see them and get VERY up close and personal with the friendlier ones, who are happy to drape themselves on you for photo ops. Very cute.

2) The guides are very nice and friendly and seem to know a great deal about the area. Our guide was Rubens, who was really wonderful and helpful.

3) There's surprisingly few bugs. It's the jungle, so yes, there are bugs, particularly ants, termites, spiders and other creepy crawlies, but because the Rio Negro has acidic water, there are virtually no mosquitoes. We get more bug bites in Central Park than we did here.

The rooms are ok. Very basic, but reasonably comfortable for the jungle. There's no air conditioner, but it's pretty much useless, since the rooms have only screens (no glass windows). It gets cooler at night, so it's tolerable.

The food is also ok. There's a fish dish, a chicken dish, a beef dish and a vegetarian option along with some salads, fruit and assorted cakes at every meal. Nothing amazing, but reasonably tasty. The fruit is the best part.

The stay includes a caiman spotting tour, piranha fishing, a short hike and a trip to the meeting of the waters. All of these were fun experiences.

We saw sloths, caimans, anacondas, monkeys, piranhas, an enormous tarantula and all kinds of wildlife.

One negative: The locals, including the guides have a less than reverent attitude to the wildlife, and will often do things like pull sloths out of a tree so you can take a picture of it. While I have to say I was happy to see the sloth up close, I did feel like we were being a bit exploitative to the wildlife and wished we could have taken a more hands-off approach.

Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay and would return in the future.

I would really reccomend the www.amazingtoursagency.com

anchorage,ak
Level Contributor
65 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alaska---->brazil

thanks for all the responses.

will

5. Re: alaska---->brazil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 20:20