We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alaska-----> brazil

anchorage,ak
Level Contributor
65 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
alaska-----> brazil

i had about given up with airfare hovering around $1,800 to get from anchorage to rio(not including visa's), but today i looked into flying into sao paulo and it was around $1,500. do a lot of tourists fly into sao paulo first? would you recommend taking a quick flight to rio from sao paulo or the bus? any ideas how long it takes for each and about how much?

thanks,

w

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alaska-----> brazil

A lot of folks do fly from Sao Paulo to Rio, it only takes around 45 minutes and can cost you as little as 60 USD or as much as 200 USD depending on how you book it.

The bus is a much cheaper option, but it's more work. You can take the Airport Bus from GRU to the Tiete bus station, buy a ticket on 1001 (an excellent bus company), the ride takes between 4-6 hours depending on the driver and traffic.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest flying, but you will have an opportunity to see the countryside by taking the bus.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: alaska-----> brazil

Sao Paulo has, until recently (with some new direct flights from Miami), served as the international (and domestic) airline hub for Brazil.

GOL (www,voegol.com.br), usually one of the cheapest options, currently shows a one way fare of R$99 (U$62) from Sao Paulo (GRU) to Rio (GIG). Then, of course, you would have a taxi fare (maybe R$50-60) or bus fare to your hotel from this outlying airport.

Both cities also have "in-town' airports, but the fare is generally higher. (Gol is offering R$379 one way.)

If you are considering taking the bus, think about ataying over one night in Sao Paulo to look around and rest up form the flight.

If the difference is U$300 (of which $150+ would end up being spent on a connecting flight and the taxi), my choice might probably be to pay it for the convenience.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alaska-----> brazil

The cheaper flights DJ mentions are flights from the Guarulhos airport. Since you'll be arriving there, it is more convenient to fly into Rio from there. Going to the Tiete bus station can be a hassle and the taxi fare can be quite steep, especially in rush hour. The bus takes 6 hours, the plane 45 minutes. From Guarulhos it's difficult to find flights to Santos Dumont (Rio's in city airport) so you'll arrive in Tom Jobim airport which is a 20 to 40 min taxi ride into the city (depending on traffic).

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alaska-----> brazil

It's nice to see that some people have adopted my previous suggestions of visiting Sao Paulo and resting before a bus ride. I think posters can do a better service by expanding on, but not copying, advice given already.

5. Re: alaska-----> brazil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 21:19