We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December Birthday Celebration in Brazil

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
136 posts
429 reviews
Save Topic
December Birthday Celebration in Brazil

Myself & a group of 3 close friends are travelling to Brazil in a months time from UK & S.Africa. We are starting off in Sao Paulo for 3 days (Fri-Sun), then moving on to visit Iguazu Falls for two days (Mon-Tues), and final destination Rio (Wed-Sun) - basically looking for some advice on the following please:-

* As we are first time vistors we would like to do some 'touristy' stuff - Which tours do you recommend (which will give us the best experience) and easiest/cheapest way to book them?

* Any shopping malls/designer/brand outlets in any of destination we travelling to?

* All my fabulous shoes seemed to be made in Brazil - any tips on where we can find these?

* Its my 30th birthday and we will be in Sao Paolo on Friday the 4th - do you know of any nice restaurants and clubs perhaps we can try out that will be an unforgettable experience?

* It's my friends 30th birthday on Friday the 11th and we will be in Rio - again any lovely restauarant and fab club you can recommend to celebrate this?

* Anything happening locally which we shoudl know about that we can try fit in while we there?

* Easiest/cheapest ways of getting from airports to hotel (city centre locations) - public transport or taxi?

* Any travel advice generally...

Very excited about this trip so any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
State of Sao Paulo
Araxa, MG
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December Birthday Celebration in Brazil

1) There are a lot of things to do. The places are you going to visit are so different from each other.

2) São Paulo is one of the best place to shopping of the world. Plenty of malls (Iguatemi, Morumbi and Cidade Jardim are the best IMO). You can shop at the streets in Jardins area, or Itaim area, a lot of brands and designer. Or for a cheap shopping you can go to Jose Paulino street in the Bom Retiro neighborhood.

3) There are a lot of places to buy shoes, a lot of brands. But in São Paulo there is a place where you can buy a lot of shoes for a low price. There are no famous brand in this place, but it has a lot of models for a low price. http://www.shoestockinstitucional.com.br/

4) São Paulo has a lot of restaurants, bars and clubs, what kind do you like? Disco? Eletronic?

5) I don't know;

6) i don't know;

7) In 3 people i would pick up taxi to get in/out of all airports, you can share so it will be better than bus and almost the same price.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
136 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December Birthday Celebration in Brazil

Thank you for your quick reply & advice. I am pleased to hear it is one of the best places to shop in the world & so I will need to make the most of my limited time there. Is the shopping areas all within close proximity to each other? To get to the Bom Retiro disctrict can we use the subway? Thank you for that website address - I will definitely look into that for more details.

Music wise probably disco, chart music, willing to try something out though if popular and great atmosphere....

I think taxi will definitely be our option :)

Araxa, MG
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December Birthday Celebration in Brazil

Where are you going to stay in SP? What kind of shopping do you like, bargain, luxury?

You can reach Bom Retiro by subway just get out on Luz station. Do not go at night.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December Birthday Celebration in Brazil

"* All my fabulous shoes seemed to be made in Brazil - any tips on where we can find these?"

Probably in the stores where you usually buy them. If you can find fabulous shoes here, the same ones that you buy there, they are probably more expensive here.

"* It's my friends 30th birthday on Friday the 11th and we will be in Rio - again any lovely restauarant and fab club you can recommend to celebrate this?"

Eat out at Porcão Rios. Great BBQ food and great view.

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,983 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December Birthday Celebration in Brazil

Where are you staying in SP?

Yes, you can get by subway but it would be better to take a taxi back with all those bags....

how about some brazilian music?

http://www.tracodeuniao.com.br/

for disco: Mokai , Pink Elephant...

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: December Birthday Celebration in Brazil

For the Rio birthday, try the Scenarium club in Lapa.

Also the site www.ipanema.com has a lot of good info. No need to take tours. Just get a cheap taxi to the major sights.

While in S.P., you might want to take a day trip to Embu. which has lots of little artsy shops.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
136 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December Birthday Celebration in Brazil

Alemati - Im staying at Golden Tulip hotel, I think it is pretty central. I like both types of shopping, but I am definitely one for quality stuff so don't mind paying the price, although it is great to get bargain stuff as well :) I dont think will do shopping at night, probably just wining & dining

Svencarioca - Really?! I find that hard to believe as they pretty expensive in the UK with import costs etc. Thanks though for the recommendation on the restaurant - will be sure to try out!

BrazilFamily4 - I think I will definitely take a taxi to hotel :) Thanks for recommendation re:brazilian music - would love to try that out!!

Tcantarelli - Oh thank you so much for the club recommendation, as well as the website address - I wil be sure to check out for more info. There were some nice tour like to Sugar Loaf Mountain and another one to qa nearby island which seemed quite interesting!

THANK YOU EVERYONE so much for the advice - it has really been helpful! :) Look forward to your beautiful country...

Araxa, MG
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: December Birthday Celebration in Brazil

Yes, golden tulip hotels are well located. If you like quality and good place to go you must go to these malls, Iguatemi, Cidade Jardim, Morumbi and Daslu, and Oscar Freire street. Those are the fashion of SP, of course there are worldwide brands, like louis vutton, channel and etc.. But the best brazilian brands are at those places. Anything you want about shopping in SP i know, my wife loves shopping and when i go there i always stay with her. By the way, ate these malls and around oscar freire street are almost the best restaurants of the city.

England
Level Contributor
563 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December Birthday Celebration in Brazil

When in Sao Paulo for your birthday, why not start your evening off at the Sky Bar which is ontop of the Unique Hotel and frequented by the young and fasionable Paulistas. The restaurant is also very good . The different flavoured Martinis and amazing views of Sao Paulo are an ideal way to start off a memorable 30th birthday. If your pushing the boat out food wise

D.O.M is arguably the best restaurant in south america but also very expensive,the restaurant at the fasano hotel is also very good. Alittle different but good is Arabia, I still quite like Famiglia Mancini italian. Just a few ideas, I suppose it all depends on your budget and the type of food you like.Have a great trip.

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
State of Sao Paulo
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
136 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: December Birthday Celebration in Brazil

Alemati - My time in SP is limted so I will be sure to use it wisely and visit the areas you mention hopefully. Brazilian bands will be even better, so thank you for that.

Richard - Sounds like I will have to try Sky Bar - great way to start the eve I think!! I've checked out the website for D.O.M - looks quite impressive so I may decide to book a table here after checking with my friends. Will also let them know about the other suggestions and take it from there. Thanks for your help...