We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debating on Travel to Brazil

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Debating on Travel to Brazil

Each Christmas and New Years I like to travel somewhere exotic. I am contemplating Brazil this year. Is it a good time to travel? Is the weather good? Where's best city if I like lots of action and entertainment? Not a big spender nor am I on a super budgeter.

Any suggestions would be a great help!

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debating on Travel to Brazil

we are traveling to rio and igassu falls, did you find it safe? i am quite concerned about all we read about safety.. Any insights?

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Debating on Travel to Brazil

As a CARIOCA, Rio citizen, I can afirm Rio is as dangerous as any other big city in the world. Of course you have to take some precautations like: don't walk in the slums and during weekends at the downtown area. Avoid using sophisticated cameras, big amount of cash and passport and etc...

the rest, you should feel and try to understand the Brazilian and Carioca way of life.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
1,121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debating on Travel to Brazil

We traveled to Rio 2 years ago and felt safe walking in main areas during the day and also on the beach. I cannot remember the street but well populated lots of shops etc and it was fun. Use common sense and you will have a good time. Iguassu is spectacular and should be seen from both sides (argentina as well). We also loved Patagonia.

NYC
Level Contributor
211 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Debating on Travel to Brazil

Sharon, I've been to Rio several times including Carnaval but never on the NYE. However, I've heard NYE in Copacabana is a sight to behold. Do go there if you can stomach the prices (which, stay assured, will be extremely high on everything).

NYC
Level Contributor
211 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debating on Travel to Brazil

kpaulsen

About danger: I have never had a problem in Rio other than a bird s*it mafia, but Rio is not the safest city in the world. Which is why do not wear jewelry, use cheap cameras, do not get too drunk and always be aware of your surroundings. Another words, don't be a target. Most of all, try to avoid walking in side streets of Copa after dark and use taxis instead. Ipanema had a safer feel for me, even after dark.

In regard to Iguazu, some areas of the city appeared seedy to me, but it ain't no Rio, so you wouldn't be strolling there anyway. The only attraction from what I gathered is the National Park, and that is truly a modern marvel of the world!

Do go to both Rio and Iguazu. They are fascinating places.

6. Re: Debating on Travel to Brazil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 10:17