We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in Brazil for 2 weeks. please advice my itinerary

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first time in Brazil for 2 weeks. please advice my itinerary

Hi,

My wife and I (late 20s) are planning to visit brazil from 29th Dec till 12 Jan.

To avoid the ridiculous hotel price in Rio, I found it's cheaper to stay in Sao paulo for new years eve.

I think we'll stay in San paulo for 2 days and leave on 1st Jan to Iguacu. We'll only have visa for brazil so check out Iguacu on Argentina side won't be feasible. I suppose maximum 2 days? We'll be leaving to Manaus on 3rd Jan. i don't know how many days we should spend in Amazon. I think it's better to leave 4-5 days for Rio, which means we need to leave for Rio on 8th latest. That means 3rd - 7th in Manaus.

We are not that into culture stuff, so I think Salvador is not that interesting for us.

I thought we could have covered more places before I wrote this post, maybe includes Lencois, but it seems we don't have much time.

Does my Itinerary make sense or feasible? I haven't booked anything yet. please give me some feedback and I'd like to start booking things soon.

Thanks a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: first time in Brazil for 2 weeks. please advice my itinerary

Anybody? I need to start booking stuff asap.

Vatican City, Italy
Level Contributor
760 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time in Brazil for 2 weeks. please advice my itinerary

What do you plan on doing in Manaus? Flying there from FOZ, via SP will consume the best part of a day, particularly when you factor in check in, check out at the airport and hotels. So to get there and back you are really killing two days just travelling. Manaus itself has very few redeeming features and it's an expensive airfare, so really unless you are planning on doing several days in a lodge outside of Manaus and the best ones are some considerable distance from town, I'd say it's hardly worth it. It's not somewhere you would visit for its own sake and not even for something like a day trip to the meeting of the waters.

Other than that it's feasible, not especially imaginative but feasible and ultimately only you will be able to say whether it was the best way of spending your time

Salvador isn't just about culture btw but as you seem to have closed your mind to it....

Enjoy!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: first time in Brazil for 2 weeks. please advice my itinerary

Thanks for your reply.

We want to go to see Amazon. I thought the only way to go there to to arrive in Manaus by plane. We want to spend about 5 days in Amazon to see the rain forest. is there a better way to see amazon?

Since you mentioned it, I'll have a look Salvador again. I still keep my mind open. ;)

What would you consider imaginative?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
1,220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time in Brazil for 2 weeks. please advice my itinerary

2 days to Foz -- brazilian side only -- looks good enough to me. Actually one day would be enough for the brazilian side, you should consider going to argentinian side too (you may see the visa issue in the proper forum).

4-5 days in Manaus -- as you want to see and feel the amazon forest -- also looks nice but you'd better have your plans for those days (tours? jungle hotels?) -- note that Manaus is an urban city like any other.

There are no direct flights from Foz to Manaus.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time in Brazil for 2 weeks. please advice my itinerary

Rainy (thunderstorms) and hot and humid in Manaus at that time of year. Yes, you should arrive by plane (a long flight from SP). Book early. SP for NYE? You need a visa for Argentina? Even if you did, you can find tours to take you to the Argentine side (just the falls) without going through Immigration, at least as I recall. Flying from Foz to Manaus is a full day trip, with at least one change of palnes typically at GRU. You will see some rain forest around the falls. As noted, you want to get out of Manaus to see anything of scenic value. Consider a Brazil air pass (need to buy before you leave home).

Edited: 21 September 2012, 21:23
Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time in Brazil for 2 weeks. please advice my itinerary

Mmm...SP for new year...not sure.

If you don't want to pay rio prices why not head to a coastal town like buzios. Ilha grande and paraty are also nice and quite near rio. Iguasu 1 day enough if brazil only, may be worth getting Argentina visa as the Argentinian side is worth a visit. Agree that Manaus will take a whole days travel there and back.

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: first time in Brazil for 2 weeks. please advice my itinerary

Since you're going to be in Foz do Iguaçu, you should also visit Santa Catarina state and Florianopolis. There you can enjoy some beautiful beaches (it's going to be hot at that time of the year).

Santa Catarina is the closest touristic destination to Foz do Iguaçu. It is a neighboring state to Paraná, which is where Foz is.

Mentioned in this post
Florianopolis
Florianopolis
State of Santa Catarina
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
601 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time in Brazil for 2 weeks. please advice my itinerary

You should be aware that the time you have chosen to visit Brazil is the most expensive and also the busiest time of the year. Brazilians will also be in vacation and most of the cities will be quite full, even the small ones like Paray adn Ilha Grande. There is a big boat Parade inAngra dos reis on the first of January. The only exception is S. Paulo, where most of the locas will be out of town enjoying the summer holidays.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: first time in Brazil for 2 weeks. please advice my itinerary

Thanks guys.

Sao Paulo for new years eve is not our choice, but everywhere else seems so expensive.

I guess my itinerary seems ok. I know we have to travel long from iguacu to manaus but we also don't have other choices if we want to see those places. I thought it would be a rather standard itinerary for people who travel 2 weeks in brazil. I am surprised that so many people are surprised that we do it this way.

Mentioned in this post
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
State of Sao Paulo
Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time in Brazil for 2 weeks. please advice my itinerary

Yes your itinerary is fine and popular. Rio 4, amazon 4-5, iguasu 2, sp 2. The only thing I would change is skip sp and go somewhere else. You say everywhere is too expensive but surely you would be flying to sp so the money you save on the flights could cover the extra cost of accommodation somewhere closer to Rio?