We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Dilemma - Ilha Grande or Paraty

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Dilemma – Ilha Grande or Paraty

I am going to Brazil for 10 days during the carnival and really would like to go to Ilha Grande rather then Paraty for some beach relaxation however I dont think it would be possible due to logistical issues with bus and airline schedules. Could someone suggest if it is possible?

I have put the itinerary:

Arrive in Rio on the 11th Feb

12th - Rio

13th - Rio

14th - Rio to PARATY OR ILHA GRANDE by bus

15th - Paraty or Ilha Grande

16th - Paraty or ilha Grande

17th - paraty or Ilha Grande by bus to Sao Paulo ----Flight to Foz Falls - cheapest ive found is £84 @ 2350 with TAM however possibility to fly early on the 18th for more £ if bus issues from paraty.

18th - foz - Brazil

19th - Foz - Argentina

20th - foz to Rio

21st - Rio to UK

I understand that if we stay in Ilha Grande then we would have to stop in Paraty.

Many Thanks

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Dilemma – Ilha Grande or Paraty

It would be quicker to go back to Rio (from either ilha grande or paraty) and fly rio to foz, rather than going to SP.

Edited: 02 January 2013, 01:13
Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
729 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Dilemma – Ilha Grande or Paraty

Harsh,

If you want to go just to Ilha Grande, you can take a bus from Rio either to Mangaratiba or to Angra dos Reis, where they have a ferry everyday. Mangaratiba leaves at 08:00 am and Angra at 15:30 . Mangaratiba is about 2 1/2 hours and Angra is about 3 1/2 hours from Rio.

Coming back from Ilha Grande by Angra, you take the same bus back to the Terminal Buses Station ( RODOVIÁRIA) in Rio, where you take a taxi or a shuttle bus directly to the GIG airport to fly to Iguaçu Falls.

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Dilemma – Ilha Grande or Paraty

Ah of course guys, im so silly that i didnt even think of coming back to Rio for the flight to the falls. Thanks both for the suggestion..

Great I will try to figure if thats logistically possible.

I will need to check if the service on Sunday from Ilha Grande to Rio is limited using the ferry and the bus.

Also this will have to coincide with the flight from Rio to the falls.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
729 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Dilemma – Ilha Grande or Paraty

Harsh,

On Sundays either the ferries from Ilha Grande to Angra, leaving at 10:00 am, or from Ilha Grande to Mangaratiba at 1:30 pm, operates normally as well as the COSTA VERDE bus, either from Angra to Rio or Mangaratiba to Rio.

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Dilemma – Ilha Grande or Paraty

Ok, Ive decided on Ilha Grande and will likely take the Costa Verde bus at 1145 or 1200 to get the ferry at 1530 from Angra on Thursday 14th Feb. However im still struggling to figure out the return on the Sunday 17th Feb.

Ive tried the Costa Verde Bus website and the only return they have is very late which arrives at the bus depot at 2300.

Now the problem is the cheapest flight from Rio to Foz on that date (Sunday 17th Feb) is at 2330 with TAM airlines. Is there a way to get to Rio on that Sunday so we are able to catch this flight??

Thank You

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
97 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Dilemma – Ilha Grande or Paraty

Going back to Rio is shorter than going to Sao Paulo. However, indeed the bus website shows only one bus to Rio on Feb 17 (all the others sold out?). And no way you'll get that 23:30 flight if you arrive at the Rio bus station at 23:00.

So you have two options:

1) Spend the night in Rio.

2) Go to Sao Paulo and take a plane there. It's a longer trip, but you'll get in Foz do Iguaçu on the same night.

So here it is:

Feb 17th:

Ilha Grande - Angra dos Reis

Leaves at 10:00; arrives at 11:20.

Angra dos Reis - Sao Paulo (Reunidas Paulista bus: http://www.reunidaspaulista.com.br/)

Leaves at 12:00; arrives at 19:20.

Take a taxi or the Airport Service bus (around US$17) to Guarulhos airport.

There's a direct flight with TAM leaving at 23:50 to IGU (US$120 at the time I write this).

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Dilemma – Ilha Grande or Paraty

You could stay overnight in rio and take the first flight to foz the next day, there is usually one in the morning and you would still have time to do the Brazilian side the day you arrive and the Argentinian side the next day.

Or you could take a shuttle transfer service to rio eg greentoad - these usually get you back to rio about 5pm.

Though it will cost you more than the local bus and it does sound like you are trying to travel on a budget.

Edited: 13 January 2013, 08:53
8. Re: Itinerary Dilemma – Ilha Grande or Paraty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 07:15