We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in South Brazil?

Oslo, Norway
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving in South Brazil?

Hi! :-)

I'm going to Brazil 2 months this summer(June-August). I'm going to staying with my friend who live there. We are planning to take the flight to Floripa(Florianopolis) then rent a car and drive around, and drive back up to Sao Paulo where she live.

So my questions is do you think it's safe to drive around in South Brazil? I have done some roadtrips in USA and Norway, and I almost drive everyday since I got my driver license for five years ago.

And if it's safe to drive at night or should we only drive during the daytime?

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in South Brazil?

one initial comment:

if you plan to rent a car in Florianopolis and drop it off in Sao Paulo, be aware that you will be hit with a drop off charge between R$700 and R$1050. that is on top of any daily rental fees.

rental companies charge between R$1 and R$1.50 per km distance between pickup and dropoff locations. and it is about 700km between Florianopolis and SP.

second comment: June-August is winter in southern hemisphere. Florianopolis is mostly a summer beach destination; which will not be the case. take a look at these threads for comments on that:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303576-i6938-k701…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303576-i6938-k700…

Oslo, Norway
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in South Brazil?

Okay, thanks :)

Yeah I know its winter time there, and we are not planning to have a beach vacation.. We want to drive up to Balneario Camboriu, Blumenau, Joinville, curitiba and then Sao paulo.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in South Brazil?

I'm in the Northeast. I've heard the roads are better in the South. Rain could be a factor. Depends on exactly where you'll be. Main highways should be good. However, driving in Brazil is nothing like driving in the U.S. or Norway (in Norway I've just been a passenger). I've driven in many countries. I've been in Brazil for years but still find driving there harrow. Good idea to learn some Portuguese in case of emergency or even getting lost. Brazilians may have a reputation for being laid back and not in a hurry, but this changes when they get behind the wheel of a car. When I worked in Rio, one friend said driving in Brazil, with the changes people undergo when driving, reminded me of this classic Disney cartoon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAZ_xu0DCg

I'm sure your friend will give you valuable driving tips.

Edited: 06 February 2014, 21:31
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in South Brazil?

Brazil's chaotic roads: up to 40,000 people a year die on Brazil's roads—a toll blamed on poor driving conditions, inexperienced motorists and high levels of drunk-driving. Brazil needs to improve road signs, poor-quality roads and poorly designed motorways. And emergency services are currently only available in larger cities.

http://bbc.in/1917KYr

The 20 most dangerous highways in Brazil:

http://abr.ai/1bgN2Eo

Driving in Brazil:

http://abt.cm/1bgvTtq

Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in South Brazil?

I've driven in RS SC PR and SP many times. Never drive at night on the highways, stay in cities or towns at night. Most highways are great in daytime specially if its a toll road, usually very well kept but not cheap, tolls are high but worth it. Rentals are high if dropped at different location so fly to SP and drop off at same locatio. Movida rent a car is great save much R$$ over US based rentals!!

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in South Brazil?

the Curitiba to SP road (called Regis Bittencourt) has a particularly complicated 20-km stretch in the area known as Serra do Cafezal, near the towns of Miracatu and Juquitiba. It is a hilly area where road has not been enlarged (due to problems in getting environmental permits), so it remains a two-way road with only two lanes, one for each direction.

As Curitiba-SP road is full of trucks (which may not pay too much attention to other vehicles on the road), that is a dangerous area and certainly should be avoided at night.

7. Re: Driving in South Brazil?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 06:21