We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pay As You Go SIM card in Brazil during World Cup

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Pay As You Go SIM card in Brazil during World Cup

Hi

I am travelling to Brazil in June for the World Cup and will be visiting Rio, Salvador and Recife over 10 days.

I have an unlocked HTC One and was wondering what operator provides Pay As You Go SIM cards that are affordable and include some data as well.

Thanks

Simon

London, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pay As You Go SIM card in Brazil during World Cup

It's a while since I've been there... but last time PAYG data was as follows:

TIM and Claro give you about 10mb before throttling it (still ok for whatsapp, email etc). TIM is only 50 cents a day for internet, so not terrible.

Vivo give you a monthly allowance of about 300 mb.... So if you're only there a couple of weeks and really need data, it could be worth a look.

Just bear in mind, if you need to make calls, it is INSANELY expensive to call networks other than your own. So consider what network your buddies will be on.

You need to register a SIM card before it'll work. If you don't have a CPF, you can register with a passport number... But probably easier to go to a TIM/Vivo/Claro/Oi shop and ask them to do it, rather than battling with the automated system

London, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pay As You Go SIM card in Brazil during World Cup

oh yes, and as you'll be travelling.... brazil still has 'roaming'

so if you receive calls outside the home area code, that';s crazy expensive too (data and tim-to-tim calls aren't affected)

welcome to Brazil!

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pay As You Go SIM card in Brazil during World Cup

Thank you. Great information. Does that mean if I am in Salvador and my friends are in Curitiba, and we are on different Brazilian networks, we will be charged roaming? That is nuts!

Simon

London, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pay As You Go SIM card in Brazil during World Cup

no, if you're on the same network it tends to be a bargain...no matter where in the country you are

e.g. you have a TIM phone in Salvador, and your buddy in Curitiba is also on TIM..... if you call him, it'll cost you 25 cents for a call of unlimited length. As your buddy is 'home', he wont pay to receive the call

however, if you're on different networks...it is likely to be very expensive yes... always worth looking out for WiFi and calling on skype/viber

but if you think calling long distance is as simple as dialling a phone number.... oh no no no! you must also enter a 2 digit long distance carrier code....

This code is not required for sending a text, or for making local calls in your area code

so yea...have fun!

(note: local brazucas, if the system has changed recently and become simpler...please advise!)

London, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pay As You Go SIM card in Brazil during World Cup

my bad:. Looks like TIM has gone up to 60 cents per day for Internet (still 10mb per day I guess) and 60 cents per day for unlimited texts..... Yet it also mentions 75 cents per day for Texts + Internet here: I guess that's if you use both?

tim.com.br/sp/…-infinity--pre

Campinas, SP
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pay As You Go SIM card in Brazil during World Cup

@samcana

Yes, that's for both.

No, long distance calling did not get simpler, and they probably never will, it works that way to give consumers options when calling long distance. Before they existed prices were way higher.

Rule-of-thumb is, never receive calls out of your area, but calling someone on the same network is always fine, as is using internet and texts.

London, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pay As You Go SIM card in Brazil during World Cup

"it works that way to give consumers options when calling long distance. "

I've heard that, but never understood it.

For example, as a consumer I've already chosen TIM as my mobile provider... in order to make long-distance calls I have to use the TIM dialing code, otherwise it's way more expensive. So where's the freedom of choice in that? Unless there's some magical codes I'm missing out on

It just means for each contact I have, I have to save a million different numbers, depending on whether I want to text them, call them, and whether I'm at home or travelling.

anyway this is probably a discussion for another time/place... i'm just constantly trying to figure it out :)

Campinas, SP
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pay As You Go SIM card in Brazil during World Cup

@samcana

It didn't use to be that way... back when this was set up, there weren't these deals. Long distance companies actually made ads and stuff, and prices were the same across any phone for each company.

What the mobile companies should have done already is set up an automatic long distance code as an option for consumers. Actually, I'm pretty sure Claro has that. I don't know why TIM doesn't.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pay As You Go SIM card in Brazil during World Cup

Hi guys,

Is there a way of purchasing Brazil SIM cards from abroad or do I have to wait till I get to Brazil?

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pay As You Go SIM card in Brazil during World Cup

Hi guys,

Aussie traveling to Brazil here for two weeks and will be going around the country for the group games.

What would be the best plan for me to get when I arrive? I've got an Iphone 5 in Australia and would like to purchase some data to use over the course of two weeks as well.

How easy is it to setup some sort of phone plan over there? Could I just walk into a store and get it done within minutes?