We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concepcion -> Chicago (Layover in Santiago long enough?)

Indianapolis...
2 posts
Save Topic
Concepcion -> Chicago (Layover in Santiago long enough?)

I’m flying to Concepcion next month, but the ticket I want to get has a return flight from Concepcion, with an hour and 40 minute layover in Santiago. My Chilean friends said that’s hardly enough time to get through customs and immigration! What happens if I am stuck trying to get to my flight??

Will the airlines (I’m using google flights to book my ticket and they’re using American Airlines & LATAM) put me on the next flight for free? Or will they consider that a “me” problem and charge me a fee??

Would I be going through customs and immigration there if it’s just a connecting flight? Or wouldn’t I just do that in Concepcion? Both?

Help!!!!

Thanks for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Concepcion
Concepcion
Greater Concepcion, Chile
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
5 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,240 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concepcion -> Chicago (Layover in Santiago long enough?)

You have a domestic fight from Concepción to Santiago so you won't go through immigration and customs. You just collect your luggage. But you are leaving too little time to get your international flight. You must check in for that and the recommendation is 3 hours beforehand. You might get away with 2 hours but less would be a real risk and that is without having to pick up luggage from a previous flight. You would need to go through passport control and security before boarding your international flight.

You are also taking a risk by getting a domestic flight and an international one the same day. Your two tickets are not connected (if I understand correctly) and if you miss your international flight no one is going to give a free one to replace it. If it is a non-refundable ticket then you would lose it and have to buy a new one.

It is going to be easier and cheaper to change your domestic flight. I would recommend getting to Santiago the evening before. At least get a much earlier flight with a lot of room for delays and changes.

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Indianapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Concepcion -> Chicago (Layover in Santiago long enough?)

Woops! I didn’t clarify... it is actually going to be “one ticket” purchased through google flights. But American Airlines uses LATAM to connect through to Concepcion!

Mentioned in this post
Concepcion
Concepcion
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concepcion -> Chicago (Layover in Santiago long enough?)

An hour 40 is likely too tight. You probably will have to collect your luggage and recheck as you're going from domestic to international but you'll have your boarding pass and a protected connection. Santiago is a decent airport so you should be out from your flight via baggage claim to departures in about half an hour. That gives you an hour ten. AA would likely close bag drop an hour before. So if you make a fuss and get your way to the front (easy enough to do) you should be just about okay. But if anything goes wrong you won't make it. When's the next flight to Chicago and is it a problem for you if you get back on that flight?

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concepcion -> Chicago (Layover in Santiago long enough?)

Are you buying a return ticket from Ind. to Concepcion?

Mentioned in this post
Concepcion
Concepcion
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concepcion -> Chicago (Layover in Santiago long enough?)

Sorry.

Chicago to Concepcion return?

Mentioned in this post
Concepcion
Concepcion
Reply to: Concepcion -> Chicago (Layover in Santiago long enough?)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted