We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Chile

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Chile

I am planning a 2 week trip and am tryinng to decide how to spend the time. I don't want to spend too much time travelling and want to avoid the temptation to do too much. We like hiking and want to visit some wineries. Other than that we are unsure where to base ourselves and whether to consider staying in 2 different locations taking an internal flight inbetween. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Chile

What time of year would you be coming? A lot of suggestions might depend on that.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Chile

I was thinking of November/December as that seems to be a good season to go.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Chile

November/December is usually very nice. I think you might have to consider two locations as Chile is very long. Perhaps the area around Santiago for vineyards, a lot can be visited in day trips. The the second week could be somewhere in the lakes. You can easily fly or take an overnight bus. But there are also hiking opportunities near to Santiago if you want to stay put.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Chile

What kind of hiking opportunities are there around Santiago?

We were hoping to find a couple of nice rain forest or mountain one-day treks, as we will only be in Santiago area for a few days before leaving for Peru. We're not much on cities, so would like to get out of the city during the days if possible.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Chile

Should have mentioned we're planning our trip in the end of April, as it may make a difference?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Chile

Mountains there are around Santiago, but not much rain forest. For rain forest you have to go around 1000 kms south. For trecking in the mountains see, for one possibility, www.cascada.net/2007/index_ing/index2.php

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Chile

Thank You Dancingmolly - thats helpful. Would Valparaiso be a good base for vineyards and exploring? Or would I be better based in Santiago?

I was thinking of spending a week in the lakes area so your advice confirms that might be good idea.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Chile

You could visit vineyards from Valparaíso as the Casablanca valley is between Santiago and the coast.

You have a fair amount of time to investigate different areas before your trip, so you might look into other possibilities as well.

Central Chile is often overlooked, but there are lots of vineyards and good hiking. Trekkingchile.com has information about the area and the people behind it have a guest house outside Talca. Talca is about 3.5 hours south of Santiago by bus.

It is difficult to decide with so many options and a limited period of time. You obviously see more if you move around. I would not use Valparaíso as a base but as a destination for a day or two. You could fit two days Santiago, 1.5 hr. bus ride to Valparaíso on day three, bus further south day four for 2-3 days and then head for the lakes.

Bus travel can be very comfortable in Chile and it is a lot more flexible than flying.

9. Re: 2 weeks in Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 09:18