We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 Day over New Year

nyc
1 post
Save Topic
14 Day over New Year

I am in the beginning stage of planning a 2 week trip over Xmas and New Year. My thoughts are a few days in Santiago and Valpariso, a 4 day cruise in patagonia and perhaps a few days in wine country or elsewhere. Is this realistic? Any suggestions or thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,750 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 Day over New Year

Yes, you can do what you suggest. If you intend to be in Chile over New Year then that should be in Valparaiso and you will beed to reserve a room with a lot of anticipation. I would suggest one of the hotels on the Cerro Concepción.

Mentioned in this post
Chile
Chile
South America
Valparaiso
Valparaiso
Valparaiso Region, Chile
Oxon Hill, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 Day over New Year

Toid,

Isn't this New Years the 200 year anniversary? If so, are places likely to fill up sooner than usual?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 14 Day over New Year

Well two things. I made a cruise the last Zmas and New Year in a cruise of 15 days from Valparaiso to BA. But about your question of a 4 day cruise, I havent heard about a less than 8 days.

And what aniversary of 200?

Mentioned in this post
Valparaiso
Valparaiso
Valparaiso Region, Chile
Vieques
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 14 Day over New Year

There are short cruses out of Puerto Montt that explore the Patagonian Glaciers. The Skorpios Line offers five night cruises and may have some weekend cruises that are shorter. I haven't taken one as yet , but many family members have gone sometimes, multiple times.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Montt
Puerto Montt
Los Lagos Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,750 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 14 Day over New Year

To oxonhillgirl, yes 2010 is the bicentenary of Chilean independence.

6. Re: 14 Day over New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 00:16