We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 extra days in Chile, where should we go?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
5 extra days in Chile, where should we go?

We'll be visiting Chile for the first time in the Nov. Our tour package includes 4 days in Santiago. Then we'll stay an extra 5 days in Chile. Where should we go?

Currently leaning toward Torres Del Paines since we can't see gigantic iceberg in continental USA.

Vermont
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 extra days in Chile, where should we go?

It depends what you like. To the north is desert and there are amazing sites...to the south is the Lakes Region and Patagonia. There is also Eastern Island, etc. With only 5 days it may be better for you to do the central coast ie: Vina, Valparaiso, etc.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 extra days in Chile, where should we go?

I haven't been to Torres del Paine yet, although I hear its amazing. Be prepared for a very active vacation. However, there are a lot of nicer all inclusive resorts that have a good balance between programmed excurisions of all levels with relaxation and good food.

Other great places to visit are San Pedro de Atacama(the desesrt up north). The town itself is pretty small and quite touristy, but there are a lot of great tours you can take out to Valle de la Luna(very cool), Antiplano lakes and geisers.

Another great spot if you dont' want to go all the way South is to go about halway to the Pucon/Villarica area. This is a more green area of Chile, lots of water activities-rafting, etc, ziplining, a volcano to climb.

If you need more specifics on any of these places, let me know!

Good luck!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 extra days in Chile, where should we go?

Thank you for the suggestions.

I am looking into Torres Del Paine now. However, it seem the a trip there is pretty expensive.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 extra days in Chile, where should we go?

Air tickets bought inside Chile are MUCH cheaper than those purchased over the net. It may be possible to have a travel agent in Chile purchase them for you. We have family do it for us. Maybe one of the in country experts could answer that question directly.

Otherwise I would suggest you plan your trip when you get there, To see the lakes you could fly to Temuco, Valdivia, or Puerto MontT, There should be no problem finding availability to one of those (or even Osorno though harder to find a car rental). Five days is plenty of time.

You could also fly to Calama or Antofagasta rent a car and see San Pedro de Atacama. All are great choices. November is not that busy. I haven't made it to Torres de Paine yet, but the scenery in San Pedro and lake district is magnificent and you won't be disappointed.

Canada
Level Contributor
488 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 extra days in Chile, where should we go?

I'd definitely recommend the Atacama desert. You'll also see incredible sights there, from geysers to hot springs to the sun setting over the salt flats. Probably the best adventure travel we've ever done.

If you're looking to avoid the expense of a flight, you could instead spend a couple of days in Valparaiso (just a couple hours drive from Santiago) and another two to three days seeing the wineries around Santiago.

And yes, I'd recommend using a Chilean operator to help you buy plane tickets. We did, and it saved us money.

6. Re: 5 extra days in Chile, where should we go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2010, 05:17