We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help

I am posting this on the individual country forums because the general South America forum is difficult to access and doesn't seem to get the responses. Sorry if this causes too much duplication, but I don't know another method.

Pardon the length of this post, but this is going to be a long trip.

Would appreciate comments/suggestions on the itinerary. I expect the trip will start sometime November 2006.

Day 1 - 2 Guayaquil

Day 3 - 9 Galapagos

Day 10 - Quito

Day 11 - 14 Napo Wildlife Center of other Amazon lodge

Day 15 - 16 Quito

Day 17 - 18 Lima

Day 19 - 23 Cusco - Machu Picchu

Day 24 - 25 Puno and environs

Day 26 - 28 Santiago

Day 29 - Punta Arenas

Day 30 - 33 Cruise Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego

Day 34 - 36 Calafate - Los Notros

Day 37 - 40 Buenos Aires

Day 41 - 43 Estancias

Day 44 - 45 Iguassu Falls

Day 46 Return

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

When you go to Cusco - Machu Picchu make sure you spend the night at Machu Picchu. A lot of people go just for the day and you'll avoid the crowds if you stay overnight and get an early bus in time for the park to open. Go through the ruins and climb up Juanu Picchu - the view from the top is fantastic.

I wouldn't bother too much with Santiago - try and fit in the Atacama Desert instead.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

For what I see, you haven't thought about Atacama Desert. You need there at least 3.5 days. There are three tours you can't miss: altiplanic lagoons and Salar de Atacama, Moon Valley and Tatio Geysers. They are really wonderful. We've been there last october, and it is stunning.

Also, instead of going from Calafate to BA, you could go from Calafate to Bariloche. Stay there 2 nights, and then go to BA. Bariloche is a wonderful town located in the shore of a lake, sorrounded by mountains. It's really beatiful.