We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phone system

philadelphia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
phone system

Can someone give me advice reference type of temp phone or

card to purchase to enable calls from Chile/Argentina??

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phone system

It depends on which country you are going to first. If it is Chile the best alternative is to buy one of the cheapest phones from any of the operators. Opt for a plan where you add minutes as you need them. Minutes can be added at most drug stores,supermarkets, Internet cafes and in subway stations as well, of course, at the shops of the phone companies.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: phone system

Chile has Skype-to-Go numbers so if the intent is to call international cheaply and easily from Chile, combine a Chile prepaid phone or chip (in an unlocked GSM tri-band phone) with Skype-to-Go. You pay the local rate to a fixed line Chile phone number to access Skype, then use your Skype credit (aprox. 2¢ a minute) to call the States.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phone system

I say go with skype and bring a head set. It worked pretty well in Santiago.

Oxon Hill, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phone system

Would this be to call back home? If so, I would invest the $40 in a Magic Jack. Like most, I am skeptical of Infomercial products, but, I got the Magic Jack and take it everywhere I travel to and all my calls are free if I'm calling the U.S. Of course, you would have to have a laptop to plug it into, but it works like a charm. If you need anymore info on it, feel free to send me a message. In case I didn't mention it, you can talk as long as you want and anytime of day from your hotel room.

Also, they have Internet Cafes that are very cheap to call from. Word of advise, never call home using the hotel phone. You'll have a big surpise when you get your phone bill, and it won't be a good one.

beijing
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: phone system

do you have CDMA in CHILE?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phone system

The cellular networks use GSM.,

Hong Kong, China
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: phone system

Hello Sylvia,

As you need it on a temporary basis, how about trying virtual numbers? Calls made to these numbers of Chile and Argentina can be forwarded to your GSM or Landline number. Check it out from VirtualGlobalPhone..

8. Re: phone system

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2011, 05:18