We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Can't decide - Itinerary - Patagonia a must see?

London
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Can't decide - Itinerary - Patagonia a must see?

Hi,

I have spent most of today looking at different flight combinations etc. trying to decide where to book my flight home from and I am stuck!

The general plan is - fly London to Lima and then spend 2 months seeing Peru and Chile (maybe through Bolivia in between). I will then fly back to London from Chile on a multi city ticket. Originally I had automatically thought I would fly back from Santiago but have realised that it would probably be cheaper to book the multi city back from Puerto Montt or Punta Arenas.

My difficulty is I don't know which one to choose. I am sure I will definitely get as far as Puerto Montt and the lake district but would also really like to go to Torres del Paines and one of the penguin colonies if I'm that far down, and have even considered the Navimag (though the opinions seem very mixed on that!) which would make Punta Arenas a good choice. However, I'm aware I don't have LOADS of time and that everyone says don't pinpoint every where that you're going to go because then you won't be able to be spontaneous & pick up on tips from other travellers (this if my first time!) So, I don't know if I'll be tieing myself down too much by saying that I have to get all the way down to Punta Arenas in order to catch my flight.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on whether I should simply make Patagonia a must see anyway? I do love mountains and water / lakes!

Thanks very much,

Lindesay

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,476 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Can't decide - Itinerary - Patagonia a must see?

The most important question is, what months are you going to be travelling? You can always buy a return ticket to Punta Arenas from Puerto Montt in country if you decide to go to Patagonia, but time of year should be factored in.

London
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Can't decide - Itinerary - Patagonia a must see?

Sorry! December in Chile, returning around the 4th Jan. I realise as well that perhaps I should think about where I will be at Christmas/New Year in terms of accessibility to things / transport etc. Do you have any thoughts on that too? Thanks a lot.

London
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Can't decide - Itinerary - Patagonia a must see?

Or of course thoughts on where would be the best place to be for Christmas and/or New Year? I hear Valparaiso & Vina del Mar are good? Anywhere else? I suppose I could bypass Santiago on the way south & then do it at the end in order to have New Year round there...?

Sorry for adding yet more but any thoughts hugely appreciated.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,476 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Can't decide - Itinerary - Patagonia a must see?

Check prices for lodging etc in Torres del Paine and fly back from Punta Arenas. December is a great time to visit as all is open and working but the high season crowds have not yet arrived and, if you ca afford it and have the time, you shouldn't miss it.

For Christmas you want to be where there are other travellers as it is a family celebration in Chile. Being with others you can pool your resources and celebrate together. On your own would be a bit lonely. Most tourist related things run over Christmas - maybe not the 25th. Great fireworks down in Valparaiso but a lot of places now want you to book a package. Depends if you want to stay there more than one night. It is heaving with people on New Year's Eve. There are public firework displays in Santiago as well. It depends how exciting you want your New Year's Eve.

London
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Can't decide - Itinerary - Patagonia a must see?

Thanks a lot, that's helpful. Perhaps I will just book from Punta Arenas. Anything to end this procrastination!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Can't decide - Itinerary - Patagonia a must see?

Hi,

Since you are going to be there for the first time perhaps you would like to meet the locals and the best way is by going to www.Couchsurfing.org which once you join you can contact members anywhere in the world and they offer meeting you for tea or a place to stay.

Your two months are just right to cover 3 great South American countries which in my personal experience the people were wonderful to me.

Patagonia is unique and have you considered including Easter Island?, there are flights from Santiago which are expensive, but maybe they have specials.

Have a great journey and watch out for pickpockets!!

7. Re: Help! Can't decide - Itinerary - Patagonia a must see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 07:16