We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Pedro Atacama expenses

Brisbane
Level Contributor
351 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
San Pedro Atacama expenses

I am told SPA is very expensive for buying wine and other specialities [water/chocolates etc ]......a previous post on here said that they were charged $20USD for an average bottle of wine when the same bottle was $6 in other places.

Being a budget traveller i was thinking of stocking up on arrival at Calama airport or maybe outside the airport [as airports tend to be over the top $$ wise.]

Are there any shops just outside the airport to take advantage of this or am i being OTTP?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Pedro Atacama expenses

The mark up on wine in restaurants varies but tends to be higher in tourist destinations. That info must mean $6 in a supermarket and $20 in a restaurant. Possible. Still, I don't think it is worth going into Calama to buy wine before you head to San Pedro. Not every restaurant is going to allow you to bring your own wine anyway.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Pedro Atacama expenses

There is nowhere in Calama airport to buy wine.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
351 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Pedro Atacama expenses

Muchas Gracias.

Yes, my intention wasnt to go into a restaurant with my el cheapo bottle but to have a tipple on the veranda of the hostel now and again.

It may be wiser to pick up a nice bottle in Valpo or Santiago airport before flying to Calama?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Pedro Atacama expenses

You can get some in Santiago airport but a supermarket is cheaper if you have a chance to visit one. Then you can pack it into your suitcase.

London, united...
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Pedro Atacama expenses

There are botillerias in SPA.. I think there was one on Caracoles street. They catered for a wide variety of prices.. from cheap '120' merlot in cartons up to full bottles of pricey carmenere. It's not worth worrying about saving a dollar or two and dragging in a heavy backpack with wine: if you'll only be in SPA for 3-4 days it's not worth it anyway.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
351 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Pedro Atacama expenses

Makes sense Bob.

And thanx all for the tips too ! :}

7. Re: San Pedro Atacama expenses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 05:17