We're on a christmas vacation/ scouting mission from December 17 to January 2, 2012
We're looking to create a 2nd Home Base outside the US and Chile is high on the list.
The Santiago vicinity is appealing, especially the Caijon de Maipo area, but we want to see what else is out there, too.
We're renting a car.
1. suggestions for areas/locations to visit?
2. most sensible itinerary/route (we're flying in and out of Santiago)
3. best place/how to rent a car, what kind (2 wheel vs 4x4), any tips/recommendations?
our location criteria include:
* mediterranean climate (summers 65 to 90F, good amount of sunshine, not too much rain, winter cold is fine)
* in the foothills or near mountains
* not arid; river or lake not too far away
* near trees/green
* agricultural access/ easy food growing opportunities
* not in town but not too remote (will want to set up internet connection)
* within an hour or two drive of cultural activities/restaurants, etc.
* near hot springs
* organic food resources (farms, stores, restaurants)
* good/up and coming investment area
Also, if anyone has experience with going through a similar process (interest in Chile beyond just business or vacation), I would love to hear from you, too!
thank you so much!