We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning my next trip but need to know this beforehand pls.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Planning my next trip but need to know this beforehand pls.

On my last trip in November i flew Santiago to P. Arenas and whilst doing so i flew over the stunning Osorno and Lakes district and made a mental note " i must go there one day "

I now have a flight in the third week of April 2012 and wish to travel down to these areas however i am getting a feeling that maybe late April is not a good time to visit weather wise especially if hiring a car for 2 weeks there.

Can somebody tell me if i should do it then [alternative is spend the extra 2 weeks in Bolivia as i am a photograhy/scenery freak ]

Any tips most welcome!!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning my next trip but need to know this beforehand pls.

The one thing no one can now predict is weather anywhere in the world. It will be autumn, of course, and rain is definitely possible but so would autumn colours. I think any time is good for photography but the type of photo varies. But if you want a better chance of sunny days, then obviously January/February (although not free of rainy days) are a better option. March is also a good time as there are fewer visitors and prices drop. It is really your call.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning my next trip but need to know this beforehand pls.

Thx DM as always :} [you helped out so much on my previous trip ]

Sooooo...it is doable is it.? I am thinking of being snowed in, torrential rain for weeks, black ice etc etc ...... no ?

From the info i receive here i shall make the call so i can book the flights soonish but i do dearly wish to see these areas. Of course a bonus is that its non peak time...accommodation may be cheaper plus fewer tourist hordes with Hawaiian shirts :}

Any more info/ideas peoples ?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning my next trip but need to know this beforehand pls.

The Lake District has a cool not cold winter, July and August. April, will still be warm, not hot and it will rain. There will be sunny days. You certainly will not be snowed in. Most unlikely that there would be snow except on the Cordillera. You will have the advantage of low season rates and uncrowned accommodation.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning my next trip but need to know this beforehand pls.

Highly unlikely you will see any snowflakes at that time of year.

The area around Chiloe/Puerto Montt has the heaviest rainfall. With a car you can move further north if needs be. There is so much to see from Los Angeles south that having mobility is a advantage. Have a look at the three 'mapas' on this page:

vialidad.cl/proyectos/…default.aspx

The best hot springs are around Coñaripe or Pucón. The best place to be on a rainy day.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning my next trip but need to know this beforehand pls.

That is really heartening info there Toid and i thank you for it. I am not expecting it to be perfect weather however it is nice to know from someone in the know. Better than any book can tell me !!

I imagine that flying into P. Montt is the normal stopoff to begin a Lakes area visit? yes/no? [probably rent a car from P.Varas ]

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning my next trip but need to know this beforehand pls.

Appreciate the help DM [how do you know all this stuff LOL ]

Those mapas and general info on that site is invaluable too. Next step is too book a Sky flight.

Muy amable

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning my next trip but need to know this beforehand pls.

I imagine that flying into P. Montt is the normal stopoff to begin a Lakes area visit? yes/no?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning my next trip but need to know this beforehand pls.

It could be Puerto Montt or Temuco. It depends which bits of the lakes appeal to you. With PM you get Puerto Varas, access to Chiloe, Puyehue etc. Temuco is more a gateway to Pucón, Conguilillo park etc. If you basically want to explore the distance between PM and Temuco, then either will do. The driving time between them would be about 5 hrs on the highway but much more meandering down secondary roads.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
326 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning my next trip but need to know this beforehand pls.

Cheers again Dancing Molly!! I will go to both areas so yes its a toss of the coin by the sound of it. A must see for me being a volcanoe freak is Navidad .

Thx so much for your help :}

10. Re: Planning my next trip but need to know this beforehand pls.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 10:17