We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging Chilean Pesos back to US dollars

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging Chilean Pesos back to US dollars

When leaving Santiago for the US, where is the best place to exchange Chilean pesos back to US dollars since we will probably have extra pesos which we will no longer need?

Mentioned in this post
Santiago
Santiago
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
671 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging Chilean Pesos back to US dollars

Can be easily done at the airport. On my last trip there the rates were not much lower than in the city.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging Chilean Pesos back to US dollars

In Agustinas Street, between Morandé and Ahumada, (downtown) you will have many exchange houses and there you will get a better rate. If not much money is involved, the airport will do perfectly well.

Try not to do it at hotels, their rates are too low.

Northfield, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging Chilean Pesos back to US dollars

i forgot to exchange chilean pesos back to us dollars at airport. Is there anyway it can be done now that I'm back home in New Jersey?

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Northfield, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging Chilean Pesos back to US dollars

I did't exchang my chilean pesos back to American dollars, and now I'm home in Northfield, NJ, is there anyway to convert back to American money?

Northfield, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging Chilean Pesos back to US dollars

How can I convert my Chilean pesos back to American money once I'm back home in US?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,762 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging Chilean Pesos back to US dollars

It can be done as the peso chileno is freely traded. The banks on Manhattan should be willing to buy pesos, but the issue would be the quantity.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging Chilean Pesos back to US dollars

Or connect with another traveler going to Chile and do a trade.

USA
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchanging Chilean Pesos back to US dollars

In the future, try balance your foreign currency purchases with your expenses. You have paid a premium to buy and do not want to pay again to sell.

9. Re: Exchanging Chilean Pesos back to US dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 07:15