We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip and need some help!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip and need some help!

If anyone has any advise for me I'd really appreciate it!!! :) I fly into Santiago in Chile on the 10th of May and fly out of Rio in Brazil on the 11th of July. That gives me two months of unlimited travel. I'm aware of the limited time frame and of the vast number of things to do. Inca Trail is a must. Iguazu Falls is a must. I'm wondering if anyone with past experience could help me. How much could I get done in the two months? And what would you advise my budget to be for that time frame?? Currently a backpacker in Australia so must tighten the belt quickly!!

Thanks, Sarah.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip and need some help!

At present the Inca Trail is closed due to torrential rains. Tourists are isolated at Machu Pichu. So leave that part of trip for as long as possible. What you should do otherwise depends on your interests.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip and need some help!

There are two must dos in Chile:

(1) San Pedro de Atacama (in the North)

(2) Patagonia in the South

There is a good mix of backpacker type acomodation through to luxury five star hotels in both locations.

P M
Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip and need some help!

I think that Colchagua Wine Valley is undiscovered by tourism still and deserves two nights if you like the country, mountains, horses and definitely wine. People often try to do Valparaiso on a day trip from Santiago. I believe it always deserves one if not two nights at least. Chiloe in the south is a life changing trip, at least for me. Valparaiso and Chiloe are the reasons I moved here permanently 8 years ago.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip and need some help!

Great stuff!! :) So excited seeing the feedback. My trip ranges throughout South America so if you could help with any of the other countries as well it'd be great. My ambition is to get to Argentina first then fly to Lima, visit Peru and Bolivia and then onto Brazil. Not sure of the limitations time wise though.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip and need some help!

You´ll find that it´s quite expensive to fly around in South America. Unlike Europe/Asia, there is a severe lack of budget airlines, so the costs can rack up quite quickly.

The buses are also a little more expensive than the latest lonely planet guides suggest (not their fault, just very high inflation in Argentina at the moment!)

We´re currently on a 6 month trip around the whole continent and have a blog on www.theintrepidexplorers.com

We´ve gone round in a clockwise direction from BA and are currently in Puerto Montt. Should be in Santiago in a week, so will have some more detailed info then.

Happy travels!

Jon

6. Re: Planning a trip and need some help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:08