We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having trouble buying tickets in chile

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Having trouble buying tickets in chile

I am having difficulty purchasing ticket online. I am trying to use this one site Despagar.com. The site is great, but when I am trying to buy my ticket one of the questions is what is the RUT number of the card holder. It will not let me go on until I answer it. I am from the united states and do not have a RUT number. I tried my SS number and my pasport number, with no luck at all. Has any one had this problem? If so how do I get around it. Thanks in advance!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having trouble buying tickets in chile

Elsewhere on tripadvisor therer are numerous posts warning against using Despegar.com. I would suggest to book directly through Lan or Skye rather than using an intermediary.

For inyernal flights it is cheaper to buy tickets once you are in Chile -regardless of your nationality.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
187 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having trouble buying tickets in chile

As Toid says, avoid using Despegar/Decolar. They're unreliable everywhere. No need for an intermediary anyway...

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having trouble buying tickets in chile

I don't have such a great experience of Despagar.com. They cancelled our fligths because they could not get hold of us (right before New Year's) and when we contacted them, we found out we had to book the flights again. Surprise, the price was 200 USD higher. We decided not to rebook. We had paid a hotel reservation through them, 457 USD, they told us they'd return the money because of the flights cancellation. We never stayed in the hotel and Despagar.com never returned the hotel money.

I do not know what he trouble was, Despagar.com claimed that the payment for the flights had not come through. Our credit card company confirmed there was no problem with the payment from our side.

If you need to buy flights when in South America, opt out to purchase the flight tickets from the airlines directly rather than trusting Despagar.com.

Oxon Hill, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having trouble buying tickets in chile

Does anyone know the Skype number for Lan Chile?

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Having trouble buying tickets in chile

The Santiago Call Center:

+56 (2) 2 687 2400

Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having trouble buying tickets in chile

Thank you very much.

7. Re: Having trouble buying tickets in chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 07:19