We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female backpacker -- six months in South America

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Solo female backpacker -- six months in South America

I am a female in my mid 20's and am planning a six month trip in South America, beginning in Santiago (early February 2013). I am planning to backpack through Argentina then North/Northwest toward Peru, doing some WWOOFing along the way. Other than this, I don't have any "plans."

My main questions are:

1. Safety, especially in traveling by bus

2. Any places in particular to steer clear of, or regional "warning signs" for scams or shady business

3. "Don't miss," budget friendly locations

4. Suggestions for mobile devices/technology (I was thinking about bringing a low-cost tablet for wi-fi accessibility but wondered if I should get some type of phone instead or in addition

I am comfortable traveling alone, but this is a bigger trip than I have taken on in the past. I generally think safety is about remaining aware and alert,but I thought it might be helpful to hear from women who have traveled solo in the region.

All suggestions and insights are welcome and appreciated!

Bristol
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female backpacker -- six months in South America

Hi,

Sorry I'm no help but I'm in exactly the same situation (leaving mid april-may) and wondered if you'd picked up any good answers to your questions from anywhere else?!

Hope you're excited about the big adventure! :)

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female backpacker -- six months in South America

Travelling by bus in Chile and Argentina is safe. Elsewhere, the quality of the buses can be dodgy. There are hostels everywhere. I would steer clear of Cuidad del Este in Paraguay, but just keep a sharp eye open for the usual light finger types otherwise.

I would take a phone rather than a tablet if you are only going to take one. To use the phone will have to change the chip as you change countries or face roaming charges.

Santiago and Buenos Aires will be the most expensive places.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female backpacker -- six months in South America

try to come to Chiloe, its a magical location. There is lots to see, lots to do and lots to experience.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female backpacker -- six months in South America

We are in BA thought we would have to buy SIM cards for each country we visit. However we discovered that Skype is the way to go. Check it out.

Bristol
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female backpacker -- six months in South America

Thanks everyone - all great advice! Booked my flights yesterday and now getting really excited about going!

6. Re: Solo female backpacker -- six months in South America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 06:18