We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental tips

Fort McMurray...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental tips

hi i was wondering if anyone has any tips for renting a car. we're landing in Santiago and going straight to Valparaiso for a few days. Then we head to Pichilemu for a few days. We want to explore the Colchagua Valley before heading back to Santiago.

I know that there are restrictions on days cars can drive in Santiago, but I'm wondering if this also applys to rental cars? I want to make sure that I can drive the car when we pick it up and obviously return it the day we need to.

Thanks so much!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental tips

There is no restriction on modern cars. Only on cars with no catalytic converter and there are very few of those left around.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental tips

There are certainly no non-catalytic cars at rental companies. Don't rent from Avis. They have a terrible reputation.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental tips

Alamo, Toid.

virginia
Level Contributor
660 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental tips

I just returned from Chile and rented a car from Lys rental. Everything worked out fine, but I was very apprehensive about Andres Gabor. I gave him a deposit and never really heard from him much, just to say that everything is fine and my car has been rented. So I phoned him in Santiago and he was very nice on the phone and told me not to worry about the car. A man from Atlas rentals was there to meet me on time at the airport and he was absolutely terrific and made sure we knew where we were going etc. We had a mobile phone from the rental but didn't need it, also a map in the car. It was a toyota yaris and that was just fine. eleana

5. Re: Car rental tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 15:17