We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six days in Chile

Redmond
1 post
Save Topic
Six days in Chile

We are arriving into Chile (Valparaiso) from a cruise ship and have 5 days to visit before flying home. Any suggestions of what to see and do in the time we have? We would like to see the Andes, maybe some hot springs and wineries and enjoy small towns that are interesting and unique although we would like to see Santiago as well. Also what would be the best ways to get around? Thanks for any help.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,224 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six days in Chile

The easiest way to get around would be to rent a car. Alternatively, there are many offers of guided tours. You should easily be able to do what you outline in 6 days.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six days in Chile

Santa Cruz would be a place to spend a few those days and offers what you are interested in.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six days in Chile

There as I write. Forget car. Tourists Drivers go wrong way on one way streets, speeding cabs, plenty of public transportation. Staying at Sutherland hotel in beautiful room with two window walls and view of sea and city. Go to booking.com for view of hotel.

We are paying $700 for

5 nights. Plan on a wine trip by bus from Valpo...about 30 miles each way. Buses said to go every 30 min from santiago to Valpo. Will see in a few days.

Eckman
Level Contributor
85 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six days in Chile

We just had 2 weeks in Chile and I can highly recommed the cooking class/tour of Valparaiso with Cooking School Chile (we stayed at the Yellow House B&B right across from it). I just wrote a review of them both on TripAdvisor; lots of fun and you get to walk around and see neighborhoods in Valpo, shop the markets, take the funiculars & metro, and learn to cook (and then eat!) Chilean food with Chilean wine and learn to make Pisco Sours! Also did some great winery tours with Uncorked Chile (ask for Patricia- she was great!), especially their tour to wineries in the Aconcagua valley, as you can learn to blend and bottle your own wine at one of the vineyards, which was a delicious, fascinating learning/tasting experience! These are private tours and not inexpensive (approx $250.00 pp), but they are full day tours, you get great lunches at the wineries (eat at the wineries when possible!), and you can enjoy the wine tastings without worrying about driving and directions! We loved the evening "Wine Bar Tour" in Santiago with enotour; it was a private tour which took us up to San Cristobal hill for wine at sunset and then to to chic wine bars for wine tastings and delish tapas; not cheap, but they are the only ones who offered that kind of a tour, and with limited time and limited Spanish it was the only way for us to get to have that kind of an evening in Santiago. Borago is an amazing "Chile Foodie Experience" restaurant in Santiago- you can Google them... You literally experience Chile food and culture through their 'discovery menu' of small plates accompanied by Chilean wine... Chile is great: the fish and seafood (urchin! clams! octopus! oysters! crab!) and the wines are splendid, the scenery is gorgeous, and the people are So NICE!!! And if you can, go see the penguins!!! We got up to the the Humboldt Penguin Reserve (near Punta de Choros) and took a guided fishing boat out to see the penguins and other critters- it was great! Have fun!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,376 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Six days in Chile

I can't believe how much you did in two weeks and still had time to eat well!

Eckman
Level Contributor
85 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Six days in Chile

We rented a car! (We used Rossselot at the Santiago Airport and they were GREAT: $450 for 9 days rental of a small Kia manual. THE best car rental experience we've ever had overseas- seriously.) We also stayed for 4 nights at Mapyuampay (2.5 hours south of Santiago- you can Google them and check them out on TripAdvisor) which was relaxing, romantic & beautiful, with superb gourmet food (we did an excellent cooking- wine paired dinner there; the owner is a Chef and wine expert), and a great place from which to do wine & olive oil tastings (and horseback riding!) in that area (Curico).

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,376 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Six days in Chile

I know! I recommended Mapuyampay!

Eckman
Level Contributor
85 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Six days in Chile

I know I'm gushing, but Chile was so great! Our only regret is that we only had 2 weeks! There was SO much more we wanted to see/do/eat/drink! Oh, for a month with a car... ;-)

USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Six days in Chile

Hi Elissejo,

Your enthusiasm feels great. We can't wait to explore Chile beginning tomorrow!

You mentioned

``And if you can, go see the penguins!!! We got up to the the Humboldt Penguin Reserve (near Punta de Choros) and took a guided fishing boat out to see the penguins and other critters- it was great!''

We will be in the Vina del Mar area next week and are interested in visiting the penguins. Could you send me details of the guided fishing boat folks? You could email me to sumapramod at hotmail.com

10. Re: Six days in Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2014, 10:15