We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers in Santiago

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Transfers in Santiago

Hello everyone!

My travel agent has booked for me and my partner air tickets with a very tight transfer schedule. We will be arriving to Santiago from Sydney Australia at 11.25AM (LAN airlines) and we are supposed to catch a connecting flight to Rio de Janeiro at 12.20 (TAM Airlines).

Does anyone has any experience with this? Is there anything we can do in order to make it work? If we will have to go through customs in Santiago, pick up our backpacks and check in for the next flight, I do no think we can make in.

Any advise would be highly appreciated.Thank you!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers in Santiago

LAN and TAM are basically the same airline. Your luggage would be checked all the way through to Rio and you should be issued your boarding pass in Sydney for both flights. You would simply arrive at one gate and depart from another without leaving the transit area and it isn't a huge airport.

However, that is an extremely tight connection anyway, both for you and your bags. If your first flight is delayed you might not make the connection. If LAN issued the ticket and the connection, then they are responsible for getting you on another flight, but if you should have to exit the transit area and enter Chile for any reason then you would be subject to a reciprocity fee of US$100 each if you carry Australian passports.

Have a word with the TA and see if there isn't a slightly later flight and ask who chose the connection.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers in Santiago

Agree, too tight. Make the travel agent work for the commission. I would not want any disruption to my first afternoon in Rio.

Also, you need to monitor whatever flights you have scheduled with LATAM for schedule changes and be proactive in letting your travel agent know if anything needs to be modified.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers in Santiago

Thank you both.

What would be the best way of monitoring flight changes of the flights?

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers in Santiago

lan.com/cgi-bin/…consulta_itinerario.cgi

tam.com.br/b2c/jsp/viajefacil/listaVoos.jsp

5. Re: Transfers in Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 04:18