We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TUR bus company

Central, South...
Level Contributor
63 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
TUR bus company

Is this outfit still in business??? What shape are their coaches in????

Are there any new bus companies in Chile that are especially good these days??

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TUR bus company

Turbus is definitely in business. What sort of coach you get and what company sometimes depends on where you want to go. Turbus and Pullman cover a lot of, but not all, Chile. There are different levels of service with different types of coach and different costs.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,710 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TUR bus company

Turbus is by far the largest company, it covers the whole country. However, on each destination, there are other companies. There is not that much difference between them.

Foulum
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TUR bus company

We travelled with Tur Bus from Antofagasta to San Pedro de Atacama in march 2014, about 6 hours. We found the bus dirty, and we could not use the toilet, and there were no pauses during the trip. It was hard to find the bus at first.

The driver drove a little unsafety. He went too fast and off road serverals times. There was no service in the bus.

Good things: Enough legroom.

We don't know why people recommend Tur Bus We have been with much better busses in Chile. For eksample, EXPRESO NORTE from Santiago to La Serena. The bus was very comfortable. It was easy to get tickets. During the trip we got free juice and biscuits and the service was good. We will absolutely recommed this company over Tur Bus, who only lives high on its big size over the country.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: TUR bus company

People talk about and recommend Tur-Bus as it is usually the only company they've used and on the handful of trips they took, nothing too bad happened. But as the above post reveals, you may not go wrong by taking the competition even if it costs a little more. Do realize that Tur-Bus owns multiple bus lines and if trying to avoid them, you should also avoid those associated bus lines. Pullman is the second largest bus company and competes on many of the same routes as Tur-Bus.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TUR bus company

Thank you, very useful info!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TUR bus company

Turbus is often recommended because of the ease of buying tickets. It has offices just about everywhere in Chile. Pullman is a consortium of companies and probably has the second biggest presence. However, there are many smaller bus companies which do limited routes in Chile which are very good. Since you cannot book Chilean bus tickets online unless you have a Chilean issued credit card, Turbus and Pullman are the obvious choices for buying tickets for more places than just the one you happen to be in due to more offices around the country.

J S
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: TUR bus company

I hope someone responds to this post as I am having a hard time finding information, which may actually be a good thing. My husband and I are moving to Valdivia from the US so we will have quite a bit of luggage with us. We are going as minimal as possible but it's hard with outdoor gear. Anyway, we are going to take a bus from Santiago to Valdivia and we will have to check baggage. How safe is checked baggage? I read that (at least on Tur Bus) you get a baggage ticket. Does this mean that they cross reference the bag number/name to be sure people taking bags out at stops are taking their bags and not other peoples'? (On Amtrak in the US they don't do anything and someone just grabbed my bag from under the train and walked away with it.)

I'd like to get a better idea on safety as far as checked luggage. There is plenty of information on luggage you take on the bus - which actually seems to be less safe!

Thanks

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TUR bus company

All intercity buses give you a numbered receipt for your stored baggage. Someone taking your bag is very unlikely but I imagine can happen anywhere. I have certainly done a lot of travelling on Chilean buses and never lost anything.

The hand baggage you take on the bus is also perfectly safe as long as you don't put valuables in a bag stored on the rack above your head or on the floor. You can put an ordinary overnight bag on the rack, just don't leave documents, money or electronic devices in it. I keep anything valuable on the seat beside me and have always found there was plenty of room for it in Salon Cama.

Where you do have to be careful is bus stations. Keep your hands on your things at all times. If you are not used to travelling by long distance bus in your own country you may find the warnings worrisome, but these are exactly the same warnings for travelling on a long distance bus anywhere really.

J S
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: TUR bus company

Great thank you. We have PacSafe backpacks and small carry on that is cut-proof and with locking cut proof straps that can be lcoked to racks or our chairs or whatever stable. We figured it was best for overnight buses where it's easy to walk by and do a quick snatch. (Our carryon it 55cm, which is smaller than most airplanes allow for carryon, but the buses say 45 cms. I'm not sure how strict they are but hopefully we can bring them with us.) Our large luggage is standard 29" 4 wheel spinners though so they are the primary concern. Good to know our worldly belongings are going to be safer than at home!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TUR bus company

A larger bag may not fit above your head because the racks are not as large as airplane storage. The Salon Cama seats are two together and a single across the aisle. With two of you, you can get quite comfortable in the double seats. The next service up is Premium. These are seats which go completely flat.

https:/…