We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storing Valuables in a Secure Location Around Santiago?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
28 posts
366 reviews
Save Topic
Storing Valuables in a Secure Location Around Santiago?

I am flying in to Santiago to check out the country for a possible retirement on a Tourist Visa. I thought about the Rentista Visa too. I will be in need of storing valuable small assets that I could not leave behind, and don't want to fly to Sydney, AU just to drop them in a box at my bank. I know I can't get a bank account, but how about a really secure box elsewhere? Also, do you have a link to what I might have a problem bringing in? People collect gold & silver and it is a real pain when you decide to move out of the country. "What ever you do, don't try to take gold & silver through Mexico!" They seize it & drop you in jail!

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Storing Valuables in a Secure Location Around Santiago?

You should only bring it in after you have places to put it worked out beforehand. I do not believe it is common for Chileans to store stuff with secure box vendors or banks. DYODD. Might really be worth the trip to AU.

There were a set of new VAT excepted regs covering Canadian Maples and US Eagles which makes them subject to the usual $10,000 monetary instrument reporting requirement. So the others would technically be personal luxury type items. In practice, not likely a small amount would be recognized or trigger suspicion if on or about your person when your bags go through customs X-ray as they are mainly looking for agro products. But DYODD.

2. Re: Storing Valuables in a Secure Location Around Santiago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:20