We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 days in Coyhaique Chile

Atlanta, Georgia
3 posts
Save Topic
2.5 days in Coyhaique Chile

My husband and I are visiting Chile later this year. We are spending about 2.5 days in Coyhaique. We arrive in Balmaceda airport on a Monday at 17:45 and leave on Thursday at 16:50. We are visiting Coyhaique in particular to see the Marble Caves and to go on an ice trek/hike. We had initially planned on taking the bus from Balmaceda airport South to Tranquilo or another area, but I don't believe the bus times work well with our flights. Should we stay in Coyhaique and take day trips south or should we stay in Tranquilo or another closer area? Any recommendations on specific ice trek tours, private drivers vs. public transportation, and a suggested schedule would be greatly appreciated!

santiago
Level Contributor
710 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 days in Coyhaique Chile

I think is more time wise and relatively more money wise , rent a car in Balmaceda airport, go inmediatly to Tranquilo, there lots of hostels, cabins, tour operators and so, next day plenty of time to see Marble caves, Exploradores valley and glacier, try the next day to see Glacier Los Leones, the third day if depart early can do a short trek in Cerro Castillo

if you have a short budget, the alternative is overnight in Coyhaique, next day bus to Tranquilo (3,5 h.) same day visit to Marble Caves, next day Valley and Glacier Exploradores, but very early because the bus stop in Tranquilo (going to Coyhaique) at 11,00-11,30 AM, to catch the bus the last day can be risky, as you depart at 16,50, sometimes the bus pass by Balmaceda Airport, but better ask for this possibillty before. These buses can be full, then I advise, to buy in advance roundtrip tickets the same day when you arrive to Coyhaique, at Bus Terminal

My advice rent a van (not a 4x4 car , more expensive) around US$ 130 per day, expensive but give autonomy and flexibility to see the wonderful Carretera Austral, the roads arfe partly paved, but are safe driving calmly

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 days in Coyhaique Chile

Coyhaique and its immediate surroundings are not that interesting (even the Nature Reserve).

3. Re: 2.5 days in Coyhaique Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 06:19