We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chile in 2.5 weeks....Help!

Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
353 reviews
Save Topic
Chile in 2.5 weeks....Help!

Hi...

My wife and I will be visiting Chile in October for 2.5 weeks. We're in our 40's and would like to both explore the Lakes district and visit Easter Island. My wife also enjoys wine so we'd like to visit a few vineyards, if possible. We will arrive in Santiago and immediately fly to Puerto Montt and then rent a car for the next week and a half. We'll immediately drive to Puerto Varas where we're thinking of staying for 3 days. The only other plans we have is that we fly to Easter Island 11 after arriving in Chile for 4 days. Following Easter Island, we have 2.5 days in Santiago before returning home.

Could you recommend where do visit in the Lake District? Any suggestion on cities we should visit as we drive back north to Santiago? I was thinking of visiting Valpiraso but I'm not sure if I'd like to do it while we have the rental car or after we return from Easter Island. If you have any vineyards we should visit or stay away from, please let us know. If you can recommend things in and around Santiago, that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much... Mark

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,673 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chile in 2.5 weeks....Help!

Find where it says "mapas" on this website and click on each to see colour coded routes for 6 different itineraries. You can do more than one at a time or take it slowly.

vialidad.cl/proyectos/…default.aspx

I hope you have good luck with the weather at that time of year. It can be changeable in Spring. However, soaking in a thermal pool on a cold, rainy day is delightful.

Why don't you take a comfortable bus back to Santiago and avoid the high drop off fees?

Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chile in 2.5 weeks....Help!

Thanks Molly for your assistance. I'll tryto build an itinerary with the link provided. As for the rental car, I just wanted the flexibility afforded by renting a car. Thanks again....

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,673 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chile in 2.5 weeks....Help!

For the return journey, if you are doing it by car, make sure you have places you are aiming for. Otherwise you will just be doing a long drive on a big highway. Most places worth seeing are well off the highway. The Colchagua valley is nice for wine and scenery but that is not that far from Santiago. A look through a guidebook might give you an idea of things to see and which you might want to visit.

4. Re: Chile in 2.5 weeks....Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:17