My wife and I are planning to spend about three weeks in the Patagonia area in February. We are now looking at flights to Santiago or Buenos Aires (the rest of the planning will come later). Because we hate long flights, we have started looking at Business class flights. Unfortunately, everything we've seen is very expensive, or has a stopover in Panama (which sort of defeats the purpose, because we are hoping to sleep on the plane). We are starting from Seattle, which complicated things. Of course, no one flies from Seattle, so we have all sorts of options. If it turns out that a business class flight from one of the connecting cities is (relatively) cheap, then we would just book an economy fare to that city. San Francisco and LA would be great for this. Because we have relatives in New Jersey, so would New York. Texas isn't as good, and Miami is almost not worth it (unless it is a super good deal) because it takes so long to get there from Seattle.
Since flight prices go up and down often, we are tempted to just wait until we see a good deal. On the other hand, we don't want to wait too long, and pay a high price, even for coach. So, we are thinking of maybe buying an economy seat now, and paying extra to upgrade to business class if the airline has a sale on business class. Do most airlines do this? Or should we just wait a while (especially since this gives us the pick of airlines)? If so, how long would you wait before settling (we are traveling in February)?
Thanks in advance.