We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to salt flats from Santiago

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Travel to salt flats from Santiago

Hi,

We're planning a 2 week trip to Latin America and it would go roughly like below

- santiago

- Salt flats from San Pedro

- Iguazu fall

- Lima

What concerns me the most is Salt flat bit that departs from Chile. We initially considered going to Uyuni but ended up deciding not to do since it's just a lot of hassle just to get there. Thus, and alternatively, we're thinking of joining a tour from San Pedro for salt flats. I have done a bit of research but still not quite sure how it works.

- Is there any tour that departs from Santiago?

- Any name of good travel agency who has the 3-day tour to salt flats?

- Do we still cross border to Bolivia? i.e. Do we need a Bolivia Visa?

- Should we buy a trip online? Or would that be cheaper in Chile?

- What's the approx. price range?

Thanks a lot guys, preparing for trips is always fun!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,835 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to salt flats from Santiago

There are salt flats around the town of San Pedro in the Atacama desert, Chile. They are tiny compared to the Salar de Uyuni, over the border in Bolivia.

San Pedro is an interesting town with lots of scenic areas around it.

I doubt there are tours from Santiago - fly to Calama, then bus to San Pedro and start there.

You have to decide whether you want to stay in Chile or cross over to Bolivia.

I think picking 4 distant points on a continent, is not conducive to easy planning or travelling.

2. Re: Travel to salt flats from Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 06:19