We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Work visa for a 13 day trip?

Cincinnati, Ohio...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Work visa for a 13 day trip?

I'm going to Santiago, Chile in November for 13 days for an orthopaedic surgery exchange from the US. During that two weeks, my salary will come from the hospital in Chile. Do I need to obtain a work visa for that trip? I've seen posts stating a visa isn't required for "business trips" less than 90 days, but I wasn't sure if this includes work where you're being paid by a Chilean entity? Anyone know for sure? The work visa process is a pain for such a short trip and with the US government shutdown the FBI background check portion of the work visa may take a while.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Work visa for a 13 day trip?

I would suggest that you check with the closest Chilean consulate. The hospital paying you would be responsible for getting you a work visa should that be necessary.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Work visa for a 13 day trip?

There is an exception to working on a tourist visa for 30 days but it does require presenting your passport and a photocopy of the same with the copy of the tourist card you filled out on entry, plus a notarized letter from the person employing you. The requirements are set out on the Extranjería website and it appears you would have to do it here. I would contact whoever will be paying you and ask about it as they have perhaps done this before.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Work visa for a 13 day trip?

If this is notarized "contract" employment, the employer is obligated to help you get a work visa. So like the others stated before, ask the hospital.

4. Re: Work visa for a 13 day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:18