We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help

Would love some help on getting an idea of which I should choose in a short period, and the best option on how to get there,length of time to spend at each place and which I would be best to leave out.

Narrowed it down to the following locations,for 9/10 days

Santiago

Valparaiso

Castro

San Rafael glacier

And if possible,but might be too ambitious

Torres del Paine/Punta Arenas

Or any other suggestions.

Much appreciated

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

is that Castro in Chiloe? Unless u have time and in Puerto Montt I suggest to skip that.. its a whole day trip.. long 3 hrs bus journey plus ferry.. the picture postcard photos of colourful houses on stilts that I saw in the internet is nowhere to be seen.. the wooden houses on water are no different from the ones I have seen in some parts of SE Asia.. lol..

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

You can see plenty of palafitos in Castro if you go along Pedro Montt and Aguirre Cerda streets and there are also some in other places on Chiloe. Having said that, I don't think one day on Chiloe is enoughh to even begin to enjoy it. Castro is just a town and the great beauty of Chiloe lies away from its towns. But you could combine it with a visit to San Rafael from Puerto Montt. There are various ways to visit San Rafael from both Puerto Montt and Puerto Chacabuco, from one day to 4 nights on different types and sizes of boats.

You are a bit late booking and planning if you are coming this summer, especially for Torres del Paine which takes longer to get to and has limited lodging in the park. However, you could get a flight from Puerto Montt to Punta Arenas and bus to Puerto Natales. You might have to visit the park on a day trip from there if you can't find a place to stay in the park.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

Yes Castro Chiloe,obviously I would want to explore the whole area, Castro would just be my base.I will be traveling Nov 2014.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

If you have the days available, then Chiloe is worth a visit. It is a place to explore. If you have a year to plan and book, you should be able to do all that you want on your list. The only problem might be getting to San Rafael from Puerto Montt as a lot of the shorter options are out of Puerto Chacabuco rather than Puerto Montt. If you want Torres del Paine, think about how long you want there. That will depend on what you want to do. You should look at booking anything inside the park in June. You may have to decide to drop either Chiloe or San Rafael to make room for Torres del Paine.

Leave Santiago to the last so you are there a night before boarding your flight home. Valparaíso can be a day trip.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help

Thanks dancingmolly.

So it could look like this,

arrive in Santiago from Lima(stay 1 night or go directly to P.M),

then fly to Puerto Montt,stay in Chiloe area,possible cruise to San Rafael (3 nights)

fly to Punta Arenas and onto Puerto Natales (3 nights)

fly back to Santiago with a daytrip to Valparaiso(2 nights)

fly back to Lima for return flight home

something like this maybe?

other than Castro, would you recommend staying somewhere else in Chiloe area?

Am I leaving enough time to explore Santiago and Valpariso? I imagine some of the best food in country is in Santiago? Other things worth seeing and doing there too I'm sure?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help

Castro is fine for seeing the palafitos but you really want to get out into the countryside. You should be able to see some penguins around that time of year. Dalcahue is a bit further down the island and I think it is a place you get a real feel for Chiloe. At the bottom of this article you can click on other towns on Chiloe and see what they offer.

chile.travel/en/…escapada-a-dalcahue.html

As for food, Puerto Montt is the best place for some great fish and seafood, including king crab.

There is a lot of rainfall in that area, so bring the right clothes!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help

now i've just discovered Elqui Valley, and considering that

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help

That's the trouble with Chile - there is too much to see!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help

Na, I think I'm pretty set with Santiago/Valparaiso,Puerto Montt/Chiloe,TDP.Probably wont do cruise and just rent car in Puerto Montt and drive to Chiloe.

But you mention it rains alot in Puerto Montt/Chiloe, should I avoid it at this time of year? it's in Nov...

Would you suggest somewhere else or should I stick with it, is it worth the rain?

Also, would like to rent cabin in TDP, is this the only site to find them http://www.fantasticosur.com/en/ ?

Should I book pretty soon, or should have some time yet?

10. Re: Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 05:16