We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation between Atacama and Salar de Uyuni

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation between Atacama and Salar de Uyuni

Hello, I'm going to travel solo to Sth America in June next year. Currently part of my plan is to fly from Rosario to Calama, visit Atacama desert and do about 2days tours, then go to Salar de Uyuni and do 2/3days tours, then take a bus to La Paz.

Q1: What's the travel arrangement between Salar de Uyuni and San Pedro de Atacama? Cost, operator, anything to take care of because of crossing border?

Q2: Are there tour operators in one of these tourist sites where they drop ppl to the other tourist spot at the end of the tour? I think I've seen one for a 3 day Salt Flats Tour + Transfer to Chile package somewhere. Do they work out more expensive? Suggestion/thoughts?

Q3: Based on the other 2 questions and experiences from travelers who have been there, which direction is better or convenient, cost efficient (if)...

Rosario -> Atacama -> Salar de Uyuni -> La Paz? or

La Paz -> Salar de Uyuni -> Atacama -> Rosario?

Apologies if the questions sound a bit stupid, thanks in advance for your advice.

Colchagua Wine Tours
Private Tours, Helicopter Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bike Tours
Tour em Chile
Taxis & Shuttles
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation between Atacama and Salar de Uyuni

1. a 4x4 tour. costs vary. buy Bolivianos in San Pedro de Atacama before you leave.

2, All tours will drop you at Uyuni, if thats what you are asking?

3. Not sure it makes a lot of difference. I assume the flights to/from Rosario will be the major factor.

Going Atacama to La Paz, means gentler acclimatisation to the altitude. La Paz is about 1,000 metres higher than the Atacama....

2. Re: Transportation between Atacama and Salar de Uyuni

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2014, 05:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor