We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 1/2 weeks in Chile........any thoughts?

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
3 1/2 weeks in Chile........any thoughts?

We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Chile in November, 2014. We have booked international flights in and out of Santiago, but nothing else yet. I am formulating a tentative itinerary, and just wondering if I am trying to do too much, if I am missing something essential, or whatever. This obviously might not all work out, since tours may have specific dates that they go, that might not work with our dates. But input would be hugely appreciated. There is a lot to see, but on the other hand, don't want to exhaust ourselves.

Arrival - 1-2 nights in Santiago

Bus to Mendoza - 4 nights - wine tour

Bus back to Santiago - 1 night?

Flight to Calama - 4 nights in San Pedro Atacama

Flight from Calama - Puerto Montt - 4-5 nights in the area - including boat trip to Barriloche, perhaps renting a car and exploring some of the area

Ferry from Puerto Montt - Puerto Natales - 3 nights

4 nights in Torres de Paine

Flight from Punta Arenas to Santiago - international flight home

Obviously the ferry trip could alter all the plans, depending on departure times. We prefer to base ourselves in several places, rather than moving every day. And I have looked at some of the other boat trips in Chilean Patagonia - those may be an option, but the ferry (navimag?) seems to be a much better price, although not fancy. We'd be also o.k. with just staying on land, and taking a few day trips to visit glaciers, etc.

Any glaring problems with this tentative itinerary? We like wildlife, nature, hiking (but not trekking), wine tours (I've thought about staying in Santiago at the start, and just doing some of the local wine tours on offer - is there any real sense to travelling to Mendoza?)

Tours 4 Tips
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Tours 4 Tips
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Aguiastour Chile
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, City Tours
Sousas Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Ski & Snow Tours
Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 3 1/2 weeks in Chile........any thoughts?

raras2u, how long ago did you take this ferry trip?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 3 1/2 weeks in Chile........any thoughts?

Just a couple of months ago.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 3 1/2 weeks in Chile........any thoughts?

I have just found this post after reading your one asking if it was too cold in Patagonia at this time of the year.

I have not been to the Chilean Patagonia but spent time in El Calafate/ El Chalten in Argentina. I found the scenery here spectacular. If you want mountains, glaciers and lakes on this holiday go for Patagonia. It is an area I would return to if I ever went to South America again.

I also visited San Pedro de Atacama in late October. From there the southern part of Bolivia as also mentioned is very accessible as mentioned on a 3 day tour in a 4WD. It is much more basic than San Pedro but the scenery was spectacular. The colours and landscape combinations blew my mind. If you are worried about Patagonia being too cold I would actually opt for more time up here and spend time in San Pedro and cross over into Bolivia.

I know from living in Toronto for a year that many Canadian crave the warmth when on holidays so it could be an option to even your holiday out and warm your body ready to face the Canadian winter,

Santiago...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: 3 1/2 weeks in Chile........any thoughts?

Im Chilean and I've traveled a lot in my own country and around the world. The combination of places you are planning to go is perfect, but let me give you some advice. 4 nights in San Pedro is perfect, you will have time to do excursions (there are thousands of them). About Puerto Montt, I don't reccomend you to stay there. You have Puerto Varas just half an hour ago from there and it is a thousand times more beautiful, interesting, and fun. About Puerto Natales, it is really beautiful, but maybe 3 nights will get you bored. I have been there too, and if you there please go to a restaurant/bar called "Baguales", it has awesome food and If you like beer it's perfect, because they have their own brewery. ABout torres del paine, it is a pretty big territory. I would reccommend you to stay two different places in the 4 nights, so you can get to know more in those lands. You will never regret going to Torres del Paine, it is incredible. If you will stay at Punta Arenas, I don't reccomend you to stay more than 2 nights, that's just enough because there are not too many things to do, even though it is a beautiful (and cold) city.

I have been 3 times to San Pedro and 5 to Torres del Paine, I really got to know both areas and honestly, trust my tips haha. Something to keep in mind: When you stay at Santiago, even though many would tell you to go to the Mercado Central, dont go! horrible idea! I have been there, dirty place, very busy, not cosy at all. (I dont think you want to see rats in the bathroom)

I hope you have a great trip in Chile! Im proud to be Chilean, you will see great landscapes and eat good food! Enjoy!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
193 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 3 1/2 weeks in Chile........any thoughts?

We will be going the same time - but only have 2 weeks - thanks for this thread - we clearly have to modify - but helpful!

16. Re: 3 1/2 weeks in Chile........any thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 07:15