We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chile - Argentina in 24 days

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Chile - Argentina in 24 days

Hey guys I'm going to South America for 3 months in march and while I have managed to plan out Peru and Bolivia I am having more difficulty making a route to the end of my trip.

We arrive from Bolivia into Chile at San Pedro de atacam desert, and then planned on travelling down South for about 18 days before cutting east across Argentina to buenos aires where we will fly home a week later.

Any advice in general, especially on the route in Chile and across Argentina would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your time

Charlie

P. S. I understand this is not a lot of time in Argentina but am happy to sacrifice that in order to expreiance chilli better

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chile - Argentina in 24 days

The route in Chile is just keep going south. The question is where to stop and explore. There are lots of possibilities.

La Serena and the Elqui Valley, Valparaiso, Santiago and the Cajon del Maipo to see something of the Andes, the Maipo and Colchagua Valleys for wine tasting.

Going further south Pucon and Villarica then on to Puerto Varas and Frutillar. On the coast Valdivia and at the end the island of Chiloe.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chile - Argentina in 24 days

Torres del Paine should not be missed. After that you can cross over to El Calafate, Argentina. Perhaps spend a few days there and El Chalten. Then fly to BA to spend the remaining days.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,380 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chile - Argentina in 24 days

Torres del Paine is not a good fit after March. If starting in Perú and Bolivia, that would mean perhaps May in Patagonia. It can be done but transport and lodging are a lot more limited.

Make sure that you factor in the Easter weekend, Thursday through Sunday, as it will affect transport and lodging. On the plus side, if you are in Perú or Bolivia at that time, there are some very interesting Easter celebrations.

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chile - Argentina in 24 days

Sweet thanks alot guys this is all really really helpful, I think we will only go as far south as Santiago, as cost of flights is a issue and this still allows us a good amount of time to do things including transport.

5. Re: Chile - Argentina in 24 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 07:18