We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I survive Chilean food?

Ontario
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Will I survive Chilean food?

O.K., I just saw a photo of a 'Completo'! I'm reasonably fine with hotdogs, but just how much mayo is on that thing??

And then I read about braided intestines.....not sure I can handle that.

What other unusual foods should we be prepared for? What surprised some of you ...that ended up being much better than you expected?

Thanks! I just want to get my stomach ready! ;/

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,550 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I survive Chilean food?

You aren't actually forced to eat hot dogs when you visit, or chinchulines. You order what you want to eat in whatever restaurant you choose. You will find some of it quite recognizable.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I survive Chilean food?

Most restaurants I went to sure looks normal to me.. like fish and chips.. but then I don't go around looking for unusual stuffs.. though the chips can turn up to be potato chips not fries..

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,922 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I survive Chilean food?

I think you'll find that the food (and wine) is probably better than what you are used to.

You will not only survive, but thrive.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,773 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I survive Chilean food?

At the low end of restaurants yhe food is very ordinary.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,550 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I survive Chilean food?

But it is plain rather than frightening and what they eat is up to each person. It is not as if completos (which don't have mayonnaise, btw) and chinchulines are the only options. I think what will surprise the OP is the options and variety available and not an array of inedible exotic dishes.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,922 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will I survive Chilean food?

http://www.elhuerto.cl/nuestra-carta.php

There's a menu from a Santiago restaurant. Not a dog or intestine in sight.

7. Re: Will I survive Chilean food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 06:23