We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August, Chile- travel advice

Mendrisio...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Topic
August, Chile- travel advice

Hello,

I will be doing a workshop in Valparaiso, chile from 28 july- 17 August.

I would like to travel 2 weeks after the workshop is over. Where should I go in Chile ? Will it be cold ? How can one travel to San Pedro de Atacama region ? Whats the most interesting to see in August in Chile ?

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
181 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August, Chile- travel advice

Hi, August is a wonderful time in Chile, whether you like skiing or not (do you?). The central zone is green, the temperatures are rising, flowers are starting to bloom, the central andes are snow covered, and you cannot go wrong no matter where you go. "Cold" in Santiago is lows of 0-+5°C and highs of 12-22°C. As you go north it gets warmer, south it gets colder and rainy. If it has rained about 500 km north of Valparaiso, the desert starts to bloom in August (and peaks late September).

If you don´t ski, central zone hiking in La Campana, Ocoa, Cajon del Maipo and others is quite nice, also any time of the year.

San Pedro de Atacama is at a higher altitude (2,500m), so although it is in the tropics, and warm during the day, it is quite cold at night. You can also go all the way to Arica and visit Putre, Chungara and the Parque Nacional Lauca.

The warmest place will be Easter Island. It is expensive to fly to, but there are some cheaper places to stay, and it is a remarkable place, with beaches, trekking, biking, culture and vistas seldom seen.

Good luck!

Mendrisio...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: August, Chile- travel advice

Thank you for your response ! I do ski but coming to chile with all my equipment will be too complicated and since I live in Switzerland I am more interested in seeing Atacama and the desert I think! Thank you for the advice !

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
181 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August, Chile- travel advice

So Atacama it is. There is a lot to do and see in San Pedro, and you can get a tour over the border to the gigantic Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia, which should be a 3 day trip. Around San Pedro you can enjoy the Puritama hot springs, Tatio geisers, Laguna de Chascar (salt water springs you can float in), the Salar de Atacama, small towns nearby, night sky excursion (Space Star Tours), Valle de la Luna, Cordillera del Sal, the museum etc. My son stayed in the "Quinta Adela" hotel recently and liked it, they helped them with decisions on what to do. Remember it can be quite cold at night.

Here is a company that can take you off the beaten track: http://www.ecotours.cl/atacama-trekking-tour/

If you have time, you can also go to the desert beaches. I haven´t been north of Antofagasta recently, but was in Parque Nacional Pan de Azucar, near Chañaral, and loved it. It will be empty in August, and you may have a hard time getting there, so rent a car if possible. See their cabins here: http://pandeazucarlodge.cl/cabanas/

Good luck,

4. Re: August, Chile- travel advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 05:16