We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for heading North from Santiago

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for heading North from Santiago

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in Santiago and will probably stay another 2 days here.

I wasn't sure if i would head south from Santiago down to Punta Arenas. As this time of year I am not sure how many penguins will be around. Does anyone know?

Also I like hiking but I think it might be a bit cool further south to hike so am unsure if i should head south or not.

So I thought after I finish Santiago if i should head up to San Pedro way.

Worst luck I am here during winter and I don’t enjoy skiing.

I do like nature and hiking so am looking forward to making my way north and doing some hiking up their.

And eventually ending up in Peru.

I am currently considering if i head over to easter island or not or leave it for another trip.

If anyone could suggest a itinerary around seeing nature and doing some hikes for about 2 weeks in Chile heading north from Santiago, I would appreciate it.

cheers.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for heading North from Santiago

I dont think the penguins will be back until September / October.

Head to San Pedro, explore, and then take tour to Uyuni in Bolivia.....

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for heading North from Santiago

There are humbolt penguins at Damas Island, near La Serena, in between Santiago and San Pedro de Atacama.

Or maybe you could try Pucon, just a bit south, I think weather not too bad.

3. Re: Itinerary for heading North from Santiago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:16