We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chilean Patagonia or Atacama?

6 posts
Save Topic
Chilean Patagonia or Atacama?

I'm currently studying abroad in Santiago and, after planning week-long trips to Buenos Aires and Machu Picchu, I have realized I'm running low on money. I'd love to go to both Atacama and Patagonia but it looks like I have to choose one or the other. Which would you guys chose? I like hiking and nature, but I also really wanna camp out and go star gazing and sand boarding in the desert. I would be doing Atacama sometime in October or Patagonia in late November.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chilean Patagonia or Atacama?

If you are running low then I would choose Atacama. It will be cheaper and offer more alternatives.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chilean Patagonia or Atacama?

Most ppl go to Atacama also to do Salar de Uyuni just across the border... to save cost you can take overnight bus to San Pedro de Atacama but it will take you the whole day... check Sky Airline which is cheaper than LAN. If you are not doing Salar my choice would be Torres del Paine. If you liking hiking and nature Pucon is another option. Closer still to Santiago.

3. Re: Chilean Patagonia or Atacama?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:16