We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Los Lagos?

Houston, Texas
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to go in Los Lagos?

Hi,

I'm traveling to Santiago in the beginning of December, and I heard that the Lake District is not to be missed! Where should I go in the Lake District? I've read about Temuco, Osorno, Puerto Montt, Pucon, and Frutillar. All of these sound wonderful, but I will only have 3 full days. I decided to fly from Santiago, since I'm on such a time constraint. While I'm in the Lake District I'd like to do some light hiking, enjoy the beautiful scenery, and explore the town. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Los Lagos?

I would say Pucon.. I find the town nice and natural (reminds me a bit of El Calafate but El Calafate is a bit more touristy).. u will enough things to do there to keep u for 3 days..

Or Puerto Montt/ Puerto Varas combo (they are only 20 mins away).. u can also go to Chiloe island from Puerto Montt..

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Los Lagos?

I would recommend Pucon to take the most advantage of your time. You can fly from Santiago to Temuco and then continue on to Pucon. It's a pretty touristy town, but there are lots of options of places to go from there. You can hike the volcano, do canopy, white water rafting, visit hot springs, etc.

If you choose to go to Puerto Montt, I would go directly to Puerto Varas. Things there are a little more spread out, so you might lose time in transportation if you only have 3 days.

Puerto Varas, Chile
Level Contributor
473 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Los Lagos?

both Pucon and Puerto Varas offer a lot of light hiking,

scenery, though Pucon adds the hot springs,

and Puerto Varas has more post card views.. tough choice..

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Los Lagos?

In early December it will probably be slightly wetter in Puerto Varas than Pucón (though rain is possible in either), but it is closer to an airport. They each have something going for them.

Houston, Texas
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in Los Lagos?

Thanks you for all the input! I decided to go to fly Temuco and take a bus to Pucon. Do you have any hostel recommendations? Location and cleanliness are important. Also, for volcano tours, I read Politur and Sol y Nieve are good companies. Do you agree or have any other suggestions?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in Los Lagos?

We had an excellent stay at Hostal Emalafquen.. I wrote a review in TA..

As for the volcano tour, can't recall which company we went with but there a quite a few in town to choose from..

Edited: 17 November 2013, 06:16
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in Los Lagos?

I'd love to know how your trip went. I am considering time in Los Lagos region before or after a few days in Santiago. Pucon and Puerto Varas stand out in my reading so far.

My concerns... I don't speak Spanish, will be traveling alone (female, mid 40s)...Buses vs rental car?

8. Re: Where to go in Los Lagos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:19