We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pucon -- your opinion: stay in town out of town?

Seattle
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pucon -- your opinion: stay in town out of town?

We are family of 4 with two kids 12 and 10, trying to decide whether to stay in Pucon proper or at Mirador or other place 15 minutes outside of town.

Advice on pros and cons most appreciated!

We like peace and quiet (at night anyway) and a place for kids to run around, but also enjoy experiencing different restaurants in town and easy adventure planning.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pucon -- your opinion: stay in town out of town?

Will you have a car? Some places are a bit too far out to walk into town but taxis are cheap if you don't. We have stayed here both with and without the car: If you want to go to one of the termas, hot springs, for the day they arrange transport direct from the cabins.

http://www.quinolafquen.cl/indexenglish.htm

It is a fifteen minute walk to town, large garden area and a pool. It is on the international road which goes toward the border with Argentina. We used to get breakfast at the hotel next door which has an excellent buffet breakfast, or there are supermarkets in town or a large Eltit supermarket a bit further out the international road.

A lot depends on when you are going to be there. January and February are very crowded and noisy, full of traffic. That's why we stay outside in high season.

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Seattle
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pucon -- your opinion: stay in town out of town?

Thank you. We would likely be renting a car so can drive into town. We're going to be in the Pucon area 19-24 Dec, do you think there will be lots of traffic and noise in town at that time?

Mentioned in this post
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,774 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pucon -- your opinion: stay in town out of town?

Pucon is a small place and the tourist season begins after New Year. It will be quiet.

Mentioned in this post
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pucon -- your opinion: stay in town out of town?

If you have a car you could drive out to the termas at Huife or Menetúe which have good pools and places to eat. Fun for the kids if the weather isn't right for an outdoor swimming pool.

Good sandwiches, simple meals at the Café Suiza and Club 77, both on the main road through town, O'Higgins.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
58 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pucon -- your opinion: stay in town out of town?

During our trip, we had a car and stayed outside the town center (Hotel and Cabanas Monte Verde). It was about a 5-10 minute drive and it was easy in and out. I would definitely recommend staying in a place with a kitchen - we found this very helpful both from a cost perspective and from a health perspective.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel and Cabanas Monte Verde
Hotel and Cabanas Monte...
315 Reviews
Pucon, Chile
Seattle
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pucon -- your opinion: stay in town out of town?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

When you say "health" perspective, could you elaborate?

Edited: 19 October 2010, 02:02
Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pucon -- your opinion: stay in town out of town?

I can't imagine why a kitchen would make Pucon more healthy. My experience with food preparation in Chile is that they take every sanitary precaution throughout the country. I suspect even more so in a major tourist community like Pucon. I have family that spends three weeks there every year and they have never reported anyone getting sick.

As for whether to stay in town or out of town, unless you find just the perfect type of place for your family out of town, I think that all else being equal, I would prefer to be in town. Primarily because I like to walk and explore more than I prefer isolation. If you're the other way, you'll want to make the other choice. But Pucon is going to be quiet when you are there anyway. So, if you're having trouble deciding in town or outside, just get the best deal on the place you want, and let that decide for you.

Mentioned in this post
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Chile
Chile
South America
Puerto Varas, Chile
Level Contributor
474 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pucon -- your opinion: stay in town out of town?

I agree with the last opinion, never had an issue with restaurants in Pucon.

December is very quiet, the tourists descend from Argentina in January and Chileans en masse in February.

I would recommend a new Pizza place, called Cala ( i think, it's in tripadvisor pucon resturants), really good service and great food, not expensive.

you have to try the rafting or ducky kayaking with the kids, it's excellent, and a full-on experience for all.

trips to Currarehue and up next to the border are not far and beautiful.

The beach right in town is super as well, but the hot springs are my top favorite destination.

Menetue is great, as are Huife, Pozones, and if you're in the mood for something really special, and don't mind the long drive, Termas Geometricas is a unique hot spring, right up there with any in the world.

National parks such as Huerquehue have beautiful walks, views, lakes (take swim gear) and are not too hard for kids with some walking experience.

there is also a very nice place for snacks or lunch at the base of the walk, called Refugio Tinquilco. it has a website by the same name.

delicious kuchen.

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Termas Geometricas
Termas Geometricas
2,165 Reviews
Pucon, Chile
Pucon
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pucon -- your opinion: stay in town out of town?

I'm the owner of one of the Pucon Hostels named Pucon Kayak Hostel so note my position but I'll still be honest.

If it's peak season Pucon then town can be hot and hectic. I and my guests actually avoid certain busy town hours during those peak times. There are lots of gorgeous locations outside of Pucon and if you have a car then you have options.

If it's not peak-season then Pucon is a fabulous place to stay and it is nice to be able to walk to everything. There are some places that have the view and everything you need all on base but outside of town. It all comes down to what you want.

Mentioned in this post
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile
Isle of Man
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pucon -- your opinion: stay in town out of town?

Hi JohnnieKayake! How many tourists a year does Pucon get? I cant find any stats anywhere. Is the town busy all year round? the Winter, how many people visit? Many Thanks for your advice.. J

Mentioned in this post
Pucon
Pucon
Araucania Region, Chile