We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help

Friday: I'm arriving in Santiago early am on a Friday. My plan is to purchase a ticket to Pucon for Saturday (overnight bus) then head straight to Valparaiso. Is it easy to get around on public transportation in Valparaiso? I'm not sure if it is worth hiring a guide for 2 people. Any suggestions?

Saturday: Spend another 1/2 day in the area discovering the wineries/vina del mar then head back to airport bus terminal to take the overnight bus to Pucon.

Sunday: Arrive in Pucon on Sunday morning.

Monday - Wednesday: Villarica Volcano, Huerquehue Nat'l Park, Termas Geometricas. I'll be in the area later this month...would it be too cold for rafting?

Thursday - Friday: Possibly head over to San Martin de los Andes and spend 2 days. We might cut some time out of Pucon to cross over to Argentina for Bariloche. Given the condition of the area, would it be worth it?

Saturday: Back in Pucon.

Sunday: Take bus back to Santiago. When do most buses depart?

Monday-Tuesday: Concha y torro and city activities.

Tuesday evening: Depart Santiago.

Feedback on timing and activities would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,479 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

The timings seem to be OK. Valparaiso is for walking. if you want to combine with Viña then there is the Metro - clean, safe and fast.

It will not be too cold for rafting. There is still a lot of ash around Bariloche.

Buses tend to be overnight.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,630 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

Saturday: there is no airport bus terminal. You will have to go to the terminal in town corresponding to your bus line.

The Termas Geometricas are quite a long way from Pucon, closer to Coñaripe. I would choose Huife or Los Pozones (the first has a good infrastructure and restaurant and cafe and the second is more ¨natural¨) which are 30 mins or so from Pucon. The road you take to get to them is a very lovely drive. I know Huife can pick you up at your hotel, I assume transport is available to all the termas.

From Pucon to San Martin de los Andes takes about 4 hours. From San Martin to Bariloche takes at least 3.5, depends on which route you take.

I would take a walking tour of Valparaiso. I would also take the free walking tour of Santiago.

Edited: 05 March 2012, 00:57
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

How would I get to Valparaiso from the airport?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,630 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

You can either book an official taxi at the counter in customs or take an airport bus to Pajaritos metro station and catch a bus to Valparaiso from there. This is not recommended if you have a lot of luggage. If you go straight to Valparaiso from the airport, you will have to buy your Pucon ticket in Valparaiso.

You could also take the Turbus (not Centropuerto) airport bus and not get off at Pajaritos but go all the way to their terminal. You could buy your Pucon ticket there then get one of their buses to Valparaiso from the same terminal.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help

Can you recommend a comfortable overnight bus Pucon to Santiago ?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,630 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help

If you want Premium service then take Turbus. The seat goes completely flat. These seats are usually on the bottom level of a double decler bus with Salon Cama upstairs. Turbus has its own terminal in Pucon. Pullman also goes from Pucon. During the summer I saw Linea Azul buses in Pucon but I don't know if they operate the route all year.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help

Thx dancing Molly. So there's an overnight bus that goes directly to pucon from valparaio? Also, which would you recommend: taking the bus from pajaritos or going all the way to the terminal? I'll just have my backpack with me and speak limited Spanish.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,630 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help

The bus will go through Santiago from there to Pucon. Note that salon cama is the top service using that route. If you want premium you have to get it from Santiago. Services and frequencies vary by time of year. Prices also vary around Easter, long weekends etc.

If you are asking about getting the bus to Viña/Valpo from the airport, then Pajaritos is quicker. Just be sure to look at the destination on the front of the bus. Buses go to either Viña or Valparaiso but not both.

9. Re: Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:41